Why are people all looking to take the same photo?

I'm camping only 350 feet from where the centerline of the path of totaliy will pass. I plan on parking my carcass at the top of a hill just 30 feet off that line.

No attempt to shoot the eclipse itself but I plan on setting up a video camera and shooting the reactions and comments on myself and fellow campers as we watch from what we endearingly call "Eclipse Hill".

I'll have it all set up and will just hit the record button about 10 minutes prior to C2 and just let 'er go. That's all I have planned to record. I want the event completely recorded in my gray matter hard drive instead of a memory card chock-full of 1s and 0s that represent an average to so-so image.

The 2024 eclipse passes through my brothers yard so I may take a bit of the 4-minutes plus of totality of that one to attempt a shot or two.

I will be in the penumbra area, but due to heavy overcast (Marine Layer) common to SoCal, I won't be able to see squat. Oh well ... there will be plenty on Tv and the internet.

I'm camping only 350 feet from where the centerline of the path of totaliy will pass. I plan on parking my carcass at the top of a hill just 30 feet off that line.

No attempt to shoot the eclipse itself but I plan on setting up a video camera and shooting the reactions and comments on myself and fellow campers as we watch from what we endearingly call "Eclipse Hill".

I'll have it all set up and will just hit the record button about 10 minutes prior to C2 and just let 'er go. That's all I have planned to record. I want the event completely recorded in my gray matter hard drive instead of a memory card chock-full of 1s and 0s that represent an average to so-so image.

The 2024 eclipse passes through my brothers yard so I may take a bit of the 4-minutes plus of totality of that one to attempt a shot or two.

Be sure to set manual exposure so we can see it darken

The last I remember what must have been a partial eclipse was going out on the playground with the kids at school doing the pinhole projector thing... and that was about it. Seems like outside it looked rather filtered or polarized, sort of like how it looks on a sunny day with a camera using a circular polarizer (that's what it reminded me of anyway).

But now with social media and eclipse glasses and all the hype... One school district that started early announced they'll keep the kids inside for recess. Probably not much choice because there's so much misinformation 'out there', and glasses that were sold that were knockoffs, etc. etc. etc. there's probably a concern about what kids may have seen or heard and might try.

I hope people realize the pinhole thing is a projector not a pinhole camera, that you're projecting the shadow onto a white piece of paper. There's a NASA video on YouTube that shows how to make the same type thing with a cereal box. It's not hard to make one out of something like an index card - you cut a small square, tape a piece of foil over it, poke a hole in the foil with a pin, then LOOK DOWN at the shadow cast onto a white piece of paper or whatever.

I hadn't heard the colander thing but it's the same - you use it to cast a shadow onto another surface and LOOK DOWN at it. I half expect there to be reports of people doing permanent eye damage trying to look at it, but I hope not.

Watching the NASA feed, that's a thought Sam.

With rain forecast for Tuesday they're saying a possibility of some cloud cover here now on Monday, it's already today clouding up for a minute or so from time to time.

I don't think it's about having an original photo, it's more about the experience and having a tangible memory of it that you personally documented. That said, I don't care about the eclipse and wont be taking any photos of it. I have work to do.

In the words of Sir Edmund Hillary, "Because its there".

NONE of my nature photos are as good as shots available for viewing on the web already but I still enjoyed shooting them.

In the words of Sir Edmund Hillary, "Because its there".

NONE of my nature photos are as good as shots available for viewing on the web already but I still enjoyed shooting them.
My Nature photos suck because if I'm outdoors longer than 45mins I get grumpy (unless I'm at a Waterpark) and I don't like wandering more than 1km from my car.

Whelp I didn't bother, I figured I could log on here and see a s**t load of eclipse photos............lol

Whelp I didn't bother, I figured I could log on here and see a s**t load of eclipse photos............lol

IMG_1859.JPG

The shadows looked freaky so I used my iPads camera

Well because it's a picture you took! Total eclipses occur somewhere every 18 months. In 6 1/2 years it will be almost over my house. Over the next month I will probably pick up a filter for 1/10th or less of what people paid for them. :345:

I shot videos on my iPhone, and a handful of stills. Ehhhh...I was 40 miles north of the totality we had in a wide band across Oregon. It was still pretty cool though, to experience a major eclipse!

The eclipse is a very interesting thing...if you happen to be out working or playing and didn't know it was coming. I would much rather be surprised by it than preparing for it though to be honest.
To me it's just another of many cycles that are in constant motion. Not really worth taking pictures unless you are studying the solar prominences and use it as a tool.

I setup 3 cameras that took video of us experiencing it. That would be something to remember it with.

I dint take a still as i dint have the time or the equipment for it, was just making sure family experiences it safely.

Was awesome, looking fwd to 2024!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back