Why bring this kind of attention to a subject?

Rekd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
amusingscribe.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some good reading here on using flash.

Flash Photography with Canon EOS Cameras - Part III.

I read for several minutes and learned quite a bit about using my newly found old bounce flash, but I got to here and stopped.

As discussed in the previous section, while there are third party radio wireless control systems for flash units, most E-TTL Canon flash units also capable of being triggered remotely without wires, much like Minolta’s pioneering wireless flash system. These wireless E-TTL units work as master or slave units but don’t use radio transmissions.
Pretty straight forward, right? His very next paragraph stopped me in my tracks...

And yes, it’s kind of unfortunate that the terms “master” and “slave” are used in this context. Unfortunately the terminology is pretty common in the world of hardware engineering to mean a system with a controlling device and a responding device, the grim political and social overtones of the words notwithstanding. However, to minimize confusion I’ll use the terms since Canon use them.
Is it just me or did anyone else not even consider the implications of "master" and "slave" in a racial context until this twit brought it up? :er:

I understand not wanting to offend anyone, but this just drew un-needed attention to an already overly sensitive PC subject. :twak:

Some people are just preoccupied with stuff like that...

To some people, just using the word 'slave' means that you want to see the south rise and enslave all blacks. :lmao:

Those are the people that worry me the most. The people that have to constantly remind people that they aren't racist, or they are a 'good Christian'. If they really were what they said they were, they wouldn't have to tell me about it.

And here I was innocently thinking it was just a Master/slave - Dom/sub relationship between the 580 and the 430 class flashes. ;)

I never thought of it in any form of historical political or moralistic manner either.

There are plenty of things in this world that upset people with use of language and meanings. If you think about it why do we call them masters and slaves? It is a bit of an out moded analogy, would you not agree?

There are plenty of things in this world that upset people with use of language and meanings. If you think about it why do we call them masters and slaves? It is a bit of an out moded analogy, would you not agree?
One of them controls the other one. What else would you call it? The Boss Flash and the Employee Flash? :lol:

The guy that wrote the article had a bit more time to think about what he was writing instead of just reading it through like the rest of us. But when you do think about it, what are a couple of replacement words that describes the "Master" unit and the "Slave" unit without using those two words. There must have been some kind of racial thought when those were assigned to describe the use of those units. I dont think it was necessary to bring in the race card explanation by him, but it also wasnt necessary to focus on his thoughts about those two words instead of the intentional talk about the flash. Just ignore it and move on unless he mentions it again.

The guy that wrote the article had a bit more time to think about what he was writing instead of just reading it through like the rest of us. But when you do think about it, what are a couple of replacement words that describes the "Master" unit and the "Slave" unit without using those two words. There must have been some kind of racial thought when those were assigned to describe the use of those units. I dont think it was necessary to bring in the race card explanation by him, but it also wasnt necessary to focus on his thoughts about those two words instead of the intentional talk about the flash. Just ignore it and move on unless he mentions it again.

If he was truly concerned with how people would react to the term Master and Slave in a racial manner he would have come up with another term that would make the same point.

Without even bringing it up.

I'm a professional writer and know damned well that if he didn't want to bring attention to it, he would not have. He brought attention to it because he wanted to, not because he was really concerned about offending anyone. He devoted an entire paragraph to it when he could have simply used a term like controller and bound or contrived or vassal or or or...

Last edited:
Cars have had master and slave cylinders for as long as hydraulic brakes have been around. Longer I think that electrical components have been named this so I don't think it was necessary to really explain it. I'm fairly certain people have gotten used to the idea over the last several decades.

One of them controls the other one. What else would you call it? The Boss Flash and the Employee Flash? :lol:

Please don't use such abusive terms again when talking in the open areas of the site. Have you no compassion for the vast number of "employees" or workers that have slaved under Bosses through the centuries? From the horrific conditions of the workhouse to the mills employees have been abused for centuries without much for their horrors save a few pennies.
It's only in recent years that things have changed, but the Boss is still a name all fear be it on the officefloor or down the mineshafts.

In future please use a more politically correct terminology.

just hope that he never tries to write anything plumbing related and has to explain his use of "male" and "female" to describe fittings, while trying to avoid any kind of sexual undertone.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back