Wich Tripod are you using or Want?

I was kinda joking (well I am still saving)...

Seriously though... we would need to know what camera you are placing on this tripod (weight limits) and your budget. Personally, all my tripods and heads were purchased used.... it makes sense... tripods don't have anything fragile and last for a long time. There are good deals to be had.

The two that gets used the most is a Bogen 3021 (old non-beveled center column) purchased used for $35 with a pan head (landscape really sturdy) or a my "shorty" Bogen 3021S with monopod-center column and ball head.

I can also recommend the Digi series tripod from Bogen/Manfrotto for lighter weight setups. I was impressed them at their price point.

I think people just don't realize how much 8.8 pounds really is.... we just see numbers and keep wanting MORE oh.. I need MORE..

8.8 lbs is approx 3900 grams.

A 1dsMIII = 1250g and 70-200mm f2.8 L IS = 1590g. Together with battery is probably just over 3000g. Probably one of the heaviest that most are traveling with.... . Any heavier you really should be traveling with a a Wimberley anyways.... at that point you are beyond the intent of that tripod.

Your Canon 30D is only 700g. You have over 3000g of room for a lens....

Besides.. my intention is for travel with a rangefinder... no where close to that weight limit...

BTW... that tripod I linked already includes a head... yes... its very light. The 1550T folds to just over a foot long and is slightly lighter but Titanium is a better material for a tripod. There's a reason why the series is called "traveler".

I'm curious... what do you have that requires more than 4000g of weight capacity?

I think people just don't realize how much 8.8 pounds really is.... we just see numbers and keep wanting MORE oh.. I need MORE..

8.8 lbs is approx 3900 grams.

A 1dsMIII = 1250g and 70-200mm f2.8 L IS = 1590g. Together with battery is probably just over 3000g. Probably one of the heaviest that most are traveling with.... . Any heavier you really should be traveling with a a Wimberley anyways.... at that point you are beyond the intent of that tripod.

Your Canon 30D is only 700g. You have over 3000g of room for a lens....

Besides.. my intention is for travel with a rangefinder... no where close to that weight limit...

BTW... that tripod I linked already includes a head... yes... its very light. The 1550T folds to just over a foot long and is slightly lighter but Titanium is a better material for a tripod. There's a reason why the series is called "traveler".

I'm curious... what do you have that requires more than 4000g of weight capacity?

Nada ... just thought that's alot for a pod that only can hold 9 pounds :) ... for that kind of cash, I'd think I could rest my car on it

My largest lens weighs 1440 g and if I add the weight of my 2X TC, that's another 234 g

I saw the traveller in the shop and drooled all over it

Never thought I'd wax poetic over a head, but I just bought a new combo:

Gitso 3530 Carbon Fiber legs

Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared head. Wonderful!

I was kinda joking (well I am still saving)...

Seriously though... we would need to know what camera you are placing on this tripod (weight limits) and your budget. Personally, all my tripods and heads were purchased used.... it makes sense... tripods don't have anything fragile and last for a long time. There are good deals to be had.

The two that gets used the most is a Bogen 3021 (old non-beveled center column) purchased used for $35 with a pan head (landscape really sturdy) or a my "shorty" Bogen 3021S with monopod-center column and ball head.

I can also recommend the Digi series tripod from Bogen/Manfrotto for lighter weight setups. I was impressed them at their price point.

the tripod is mostly for my 40d to be used with a flash and some average lenses. like 17mm, 28-135, 75-300 etc... the heaviest lens that'll go on the camera are the L series 70-200 2.8 and the 100-400, but I usually work with those on a monopod, it makes it easy and works awesome.

Never thought I'd wax poetic over a head, but I just bought a new combo:

Gitso 3530 Carbon Fiber legs

Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared head. Wonderful!

one tip with the 410, watch your fingers as it hurts like hell when you catch them while using the fast movement method! It was that reason alone I got a 405. Must get round to selling the 410 one day

I have an old Manfrotto Carbon One with the little magnesium 3-D head for light stuff, a Gitzo 3540 with Burzynski ball head and RRS QR/Pano plate for medium stuff and a Majestic for heavy things.

Best,
Helen

I have an old Manfrotto Carbon One with the little magnesium 3-D head for light stuff, a Gitzo 3540 with Burzynski ball head and RRS QR/Pano plate for medium stuff and a Majestic for heavy things.

Best,
Helen

A friend of mine has Burzynski Ball head and loves it, I had a play with the version that Gitzo have coming out and its fantastic! The friction control on the Gitzo is amazing

I use a Sunpak 8001 UT

I just received the Sunpak 9001 (I think) and I'm really impressed for the price. Easy to setup and use....built like a tank, get's taller than me when fully extended and has a handle built into it for easy carrying. It also came with a case w/ strap for throwing it overy your shoulder. I was honestly expecting it to be a piece of crap to just get by since it was only around $50 but it's really nice. Self leveling feet too. I guess the real test will be how it holds up over time.

Using the Manfrotto Digi 725B & Bogen 3517N quick-release plate. Plenty light - perfect for me for the price. I tote it everywhere when traveling. Wish it only had 3-segmented legs or a head that would smoothly pan horizontally, but yeah I spent all the money on glass ;) Holds a D300 + fully extended 18-200mm without the head budging.

I have a Bogen 3221 and a few different heads.

LWW

Most reactions

New Topics

Back