will my SIGMA 17-35MM F2.8/4 EX DG HSM LENS fit a canon 5D?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by ShaCow, Apr 10, 2007.

1. ShaCow

ShaCow TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    will my SIGMA 17-35MM F2.8/4 EX DG HSM LENS fit a canon 5D?

I was thinking about buying one, i have a few efs lens's, aparently they dont fit do they?

just want to know if the sigma one will fit as this cost me over £300 :er:

thanks

2. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yes it will although it's one of Sigma's poorest performing lenses.

3. ShaCow

ShaCow TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    oh great, so what your saying is I wasted £320 on it then :er:

4. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If it is really that bad, then sell it on eBay and get almost what you payed for it :)

5. Orgnoi1

Orgnoi1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I wouldnt say that it performs poorly at all...EOS JD have you used one? On a 5D? Up till I bought my 17-40L I used the 17-35 Tamron... and had nothing but rave reviews to give it... performance wise it is every bit as good as my Canon 17-40L... the main reason I got rid of it is the external focusing ring... with using almost all L lenses I am not used to having non-IF...

Here are some shots with my 5D and 17-35 Tamron just before I got rid of it... they are TERRRIBLE...LOL

http://www.northeastfoto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5454

(EDIT: A couple shots are with my 24-70L also... I know for a fact that #4 is with the Tamron..cant remember the others...)

6. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Here's a review of the Sigma from a friend of mine who I trust. http://www.eospix.com/?page_id=112

Pretty sharp lens in the centre but very poor edge performance and higher than average CA @ 17mm. I don't think this was tested on a 5D but the 5D with its larger sensor will use more of the edges and I suspect performance will be poorer. If you read the reviews at FredMiranda it's pretty poor there too.

I have the Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 and it's been a pretty decent performer although I rarely use it these days. I'd say comparable to the 17-40L

Regards
    Jim

7. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm not having a go but normally it's sensible to make sure lenses fit before you buy them. It's also a good idea to check as many reviews as you can and make your own mind up rather than be put off by one or two opinions on a forum.

That said i'd always include the opinions of the forum members before making a purchase because more often than not, someone knows exactly what the lens/body/flash is like.

I'm sure the lens will be fine - i just purchased a Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 for my 5D but haven't had the chance to take anything decent yet. I will do soon though.

8. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The Tamron is a better lens than the Sigma (from all the reviews i read) although I just noted that the DG on the Sigma refers to "Digital" lenses which normally means 1.6x crop cameras so the lens may vignette badly on a 5D when at the wide end.

9. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've taken a few shots with the Tamron but only if my newly decorated hallway to see how wide it was!!
    There was no great vignetting on the few images i took but it may be that once i attach my polarizer, even though it's a slim one, the vignetting may become more pronounced.

Incidentally i can actually see some minor vignetting on my 24-70mm f2.8 at times. Nothing to worry me and in fact only a photographer ie someone who looks at the whole image and not just the subject, would notice it at all.

I know that Digitalmatt uses the Tamron lens and he's happy with it - some of his shots taken using the Tamron are amazing.

10. Groupcaptainbonzo

Groupcaptainbonzo TPF Noob!

Back to your question....

EF lenses will fit EF AND EFS cameras. EFS lenses will only fit EFS cameras.

So you should have no problems...

Although being a DG lens it will be "optimised " for digital format. Although the 5D is a digital camera, I believe that it has the "Full frame sensor" which will mean that it will use the bit of the lens that may not be quite so well made

11. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The DG lenses are optimised for digital cameras with smaller sensors than full frame. The corners of the lenses are generally the poorest sections optically.

So you may find the lens will vignette on a FF camera but I don't know enough to confirm that it will.

12. ShaCow

ShaCow TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the advice everyone. :)