woodpecker on the fence

flashbackpat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am very interested in shooting wildlife. Unfortunately I'm not very good at it yet. This was taken in my backyard where the bird just showed up unexpectedly. It was mid morning, directly under an oak tree.

NIKON D40X
f/5.6
ISOO-400
EXP TIME 1/200
DSC_0041.jpg

^^^ I agree. What great colours on this one. Either you moved or he moved, though, as it's not sharply in focus. Next time!

Thank you :) We probably both moved. Focus seems to be an issue for me.

I'm sure you were hurrying to snap the pic, too, before he flew away. (Been there, done that!)

Good size Red-belly Woodpecker you have there. Bet you could sharpen him a bit in PS or other. Keep an eye on your feeder. If they they like what you have they'll hang around. They must have their own territory because I've never seen more than 1 at a time.

Keep working at it. You can get a pop up ground blind cheap, set it up in front of a feeder, that will let you sit and practice on a lot of birds. I set up a hanging log with holes in it for suet plugs, that gives you a pretty natural look, hang it where your background is fairly plain and a ways off. This set up is great for woodpeckers.

I am very interested in shooting wildlife. Unfortunately I'm not very good at it yet.

It takes a lot of practice (and four times the patience). Luckily these guys are pretty common. Just hang some suet under that tree, and you will have woodpeckers, among many other birds, around all the time to practice on.

The exif data on this picture shows that it was taken at 55mm...even if you set up a basic, cheap blind, you could use a lens with a little more reach.

Last edited:
Brilliantly colored bird -- you caught him instantly just before he took flight. Nice shot!

Thanks for all the input everyone. This was just a very lucky shot. I was actually attempting to take in flight pictures of the hummingbirds that were buzzing around the feeder.

even if you set up a basic, cheap blind, you could use a lens with a little more reach.

IF ONLY...... I have vowed not to sink any more money into my hobby until I learn how to use what I have. I dream about longer lenses. :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back