Would this work? (Zone system on a DLSR & in the field)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by cathexis, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Ysarex

Ysarex Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Photographic Dynamic Range versus ISO Setting

Joe

• Like Like x 1
  2. cathexis

cathexis TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nice link, thanks! I see why you stated the D600 had good max PDR. Not one Canon even comes close.

3. flyinglentris

flyinglentris TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    h
    This quote comes from a dated post (2011) and I agree with the member who replied to a post that stated that the Zone System does not apply to dSLR photography.

First, I'm new to this Forum, so it shouldn't be surprising that I do searches to see if a topic has already been explored.

I do have my 2 cents. I think like Ansel himself did, that automation should not be over-relied upon. A lot of advancements have been made in digital camera technology, but I think all photographers, beginners and old hands alike need to keep tabs on these techniques as they not only work, but ingrain a better internal knowledge and understanding of one of the fundamentals of photography - light.

I'm going to spin off a new thread to explore how many members still apply the Zone System.

4. cathexis

cathexis TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Thanks for replying! I tend to believe that the fundamental "truths" of light, i.e. it's physical properties, are not affected by newer technology.
    They are timeless - at least until new discoveries prove otherwise.<wink>. Perhaps some of the disputes that arise in the digital age are more
    the desire of craftsman to conflate film and digital photography into a kind of unified theory and practice instead of accepting their obvious
    differences. For example, you can take a cab to Times Square or you can take a bus but that doesn't make a cab and a bus the same thing even
    if your destination is the same.

FWIW,

Andrew

• Agree Agree x 1