Would you photograph someone who got injured during the race?

In the USA you are protected by Good Samaritan laws as long as you only attempt to assist to the extent that you are qualified to do so. Roughly.

If you attempt a tracheotomy and are not a doctor you can get in trouble.

How can that even be a question?

To the extent that you are qualified to do so, you help the injured.
Certainly that is the proper and for many only course ... but some journalists/photojournalists feel otherwise.

some journalists feel its ok to lie about what they have done, report falsehoods as "news", and even edit photos and video to change the appearance of what is really happening into something totally different to suit their own agendas...

this does not, in my opinion, detract from the fact that helping someone in need should (in theory) be more important than profiting from it.

A working journalist or photographer, working for a legitimate publication, would be expected to follow standard practices. Unfortunately there seem to be plenty of websites that seem to be legit but aren't, or are one step away from being tabloids; there seem to be plenty of people with cameras who aren't photojournalists but are out there taking pictures at events/sports.

Most sports (minor pro/college) will have medical staff on site/in the building. If it's youth sports or lower level sports where there may not be medical staff available, coaches/trainers would have at least some first aid training (at least in my area). If there is no medical personnel available then I think you do what you would as a citizen in a medical emergency, help and do what you can until emergency personnel arrive.

If you're shooting sports/events I think you have to be aware of what's going on and be able to think on your feet. Most of the time I've found it's not dealing with emergency situations, it's fans who have made their share of trips to the beer booth! lol, kids running around, the mascot, the guy with the cotton candy, the guy running the motorized mini blimp, etc. etc. etc.

When it's your job to document then you need to document. I was working a three day eventing cross country event last year near Ocala, FL and when a rider went down under the horse and the horse was obviously not getting up it became critical to keep the camera running. I ended up in the shot helping the rider with the camera running on the tripod. The rider lived, the horse did not. The video was critical in knowing what happened and in treating the rider. Also in documenting the rapid response of race and medical personnel.
The stewards at that jump were small women so I had to leave the camera and free the unconscious rider from under the horse but the video was also critical. Would have dropped the camera if no tripod...............

Most reactions

Back