weepete

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.petecrawford.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Out and about on our travels we stumbled across this cool wreck on Eilean Buidhe (Yellow Island) at Puilladobhrain (the Pool of the Otters). I struggled a bit with trying to shoot it and conditions weren't great with largely grey skies.

Another 150mm panorama from across the bay. Far from perfect but probably the shot I'm happiest with
Eilean Buidhe Puilladobhrain Anchorage by wee_pete, on Flickr

Wide angle shot
showing the structure of the boat which is awesome and has started to twist
Eilean Buidhe Puilladobhrain Anchorage 2 by wee_pete, on Flickr

Last one is a wide angle panorama from right beside the boat with my back right up against the rocks. There's too much distortion in this one but the boat looked cool at this angle
Eilean Buidhe Puilladobhrain Anchorage 3 by wee_pete, on Flickr

Last edited:
Neat. I love stuff like this. How about coming back at night for some light painting?

Me too mate, even better when they are an unexpected find. That would certainly be an interesting idea but the route we took was over a wee tombola that only gets exposed at low tide and I think I've missed the tides to do that. Maybe I'll come back another time and try again.

Neat shots. This one looks like it has been there for a few years. I think I like the second one best. Can you tell us the story behind this wreck - its origin? - how did it get there? - how did it wreck? etc. Just curious, but I always like to know the story behind subjects like this one.

WesternGuy

Thanks mate, I've been trying to find out about it too (as I like to find out about that kind of stuff as well). Despite it being a pretty well known wreck information on its name or origins is thin on the ground. The only information I could really get was that it has been there since the 70s and was once a small fishing boat. The rest of the story has disappeared like the otters the anchorage was named after.

Great captures- nice set!

Thanks mate, I've been trying to find out about it too (as I like to find out about that kind of stuff as well). Despite it being a pretty well known wreck information on its name or origins is thin on the ground. The only information I could really get was that it has been there since the 70s and was once a small fishing boat. The rest of the story has disappeared like the otters the anchorage was named after.
How about asking any of the local fishermen who have been around for a few dozen years or more. Often the "folklore" associated with things like this is known to the locals but has never been recorded. Also, if there are local news papers, they may have some info, providing they keep records back that far. Just some thoughts.

WesternGuy

How about asking any of the local fishermen who have been around for a few dozen years or more. Often the "folklore" associated with things like this is known to the locals but has never been recorded. Also, if there are local news papers, they may have some info, providing they keep records back that far. Just some thoughts.

WesternGuy

Good idea, there'res one of the locals here who knows the area well and likes his history. I'll ask him if we see him again while we are here. They also might know something in the local pub, I'll put out a few feelers and let you know.

Good idea, there'res one of the locals here who knows the area well and likes his history. I'll ask him if we see him again while we are here. They also might know something in the local pub, I'll put out a few feelers and let you know.

I doubt that you'll find any real story attached to a beached boat in a sheltered anchorage. ;)

There are two main options. Either it came adrift it's moorings, or it was deliberately beached to save it sinking and becoming a hazard in the anchorage.

Doh! That makes sense. Now one of the comments I read falls into context. Apparently the accepted way of getting rid of old wooden hulled boats at the time was to beach them and let nature take its course. So it looks probable that it had reached the end of its useful life and was beached.

What a great set!!! I wish we had cool locations like that here. :)

Doh! That makes sense. Now one of the comments I read falls into context. Apparently the accepted way of getting rid of old wooden hulled boats at the time was to beach them and let nature take its course. So it looks probable that it had reached the end of its useful life and was beached.
Interesting. I am a bit surprised that they might not have been scavenged for firewood (am I missing something?). I know that there are probably parts of my country where they would be.

WesternGuy

Interesting. I am a bit surprised that they might not have been scavenged for firewood (am I missing something?). I know that there are probably parts of my country where they would be.

WesternGuy

Probably a variety of reasons, most of the fires here would have been coal based, the supply of wood is plentiful up here anyway and it's probably out of the way enough to make it too much hassle.

WesternGuy

Probably a variety of reasons, most of the fires here would have been coal based, the supply of wood is plentiful up here anyway and it's probably out of the way enough to make it too much hassle.
Sounds like good reasons. I guess we can put this quest to bed. Thanks for the discussion.

WesternGuy

Aye, there was a lot of coal mining in the central belt of Scotland and the Clyde Puffers would've been delivering it to the closer Western Isles, probably up as far as Oban. Further west and north it's still mainly peat they burn (not Pete, well I hope not ;)).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back