Yahoo may shut down Flickr, other unprofitable business units

astroNikon

'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Marissa Mayer plans to cut Yahoo jobs, shutter businesses

growth never happened. Thirteen earnings calls later, Mayer (Yahoo's Chief Executive) on Tuesday plans to shift her focus from taking market share to making drastic cuts.
fourth-quarter earnings to unveil a plan aimed at slashing the Internet company’s costs, including the closing of several business units and a reduction of up to 15% of its workforce
Mayer said in October she was preparing to narrow the company’s focus on fewer areas, without providing more detail. Since then, the company has rattled investors by shelving a plan to spin off shares in Alibaba Group Holding Ltd.BABA, +0.94% and failing to explore a sale of the business. Though potential suitors have already expressed interest, Yahoo’s board has put off any serious talks for now, people familiar with the matter said.

We'll find out more during the conference video on Tuesday

Lovely.... That's where I keep most of my photos...

I don't really use flickr other than to host images. I use to love it, now not so much

Hope not. I like to flickr

Flickr has fallen to one side - it no longer has the activity it once had; partly because facebook and imigur stole all the casual photographers whilst places like 500pix stole all the experienced ones (although in all honesty I don't really see what they got on 500pix beyond an elitist group for while).

I really hope they keep flickr going - I like it in general and its got all my photos there and so many links and tie-ins. It would be a real nightmare to have to move everything around .

We'll find out tomorrow evening what their plans are.

But finding a buyer when there's a long history of over paying for something that currently is losing money, only for it's valuation to keep tanking would be a problem for any company. Any new owner would have to have the infrastructure to move it to. And since it's not making money now, someone with large cahoontas would have to think they could make it profitable even after one of the largest internet companies couldn't make it profitable (or didn't care enough).

I think they're just gonna turn the lights off
and sell everyone's pictures of potatoes for $1 million each to all the clueless rich dudes.

It would make a nice tax writeoff, might look better than Alibabi's writedown.

Flickr has fallen to one side - it no longer has the activity it once had; partly because facebook and imigur stole all the casual photographers whilst places like 500pix stole all the experienced ones (although in all honesty I don't really see what they got on 500pix beyond an elitist group for while).

I really hope they keep flickr going - I like it in general and its got all my photos there and so many links and tie-ins. It would be a real nightmare to have to move everything around .
Hey your sig "Best Photos on the net!" link doesn't work anymore.

HA !! Gotcha ! ! lol

I used to use the My Yahoo page all the time til the current CEO came in and changed it overnight - at least it seemed that way, all of a sudden everything that I'd customized was gone and I quit using it.

Don't have much left on my Flickr page so I guess I'll clear the rest of it out. After tomorrow I suppose, not that I expect it will make much difference waiting a day. Or I could put a picture of a potato on there and leave it for 'em.

Let us know what else you find out Astro.

If you use an online web site to store your photos expect that some day, which might be in the near future, you will no longer have access to your photos.

If you use an online web site to store your photos expect that some day, which might be in the near future, you will no longer have access to your photos.
Well, that's also true of mine and they are in various cardboard boxes. :)

I used to use the My Yahoo page all the time til the current CEO came in and changed it overnight - at least it seemed that way, all of a sudden everything that I'd customized was gone and I quit using it.

Don't have much left on my Flickr page so I guess I'll clear the rest of it out. After tomorrow I suppose, not that I expect it will make much difference waiting a day. Or I could put a picture of a potato on there and leave it for 'em.

Let us know what else you find out Astro.
Yahoo's email system is the worst interface too.
It used to be just "okay"
then they downgraded it to be worthless. If I scroll too much down I cannot scroll back up in certain instances, and other stupid things like that.

Why yahoo shutdown flicker, please let me know all about this issue

Why yahoo shutdown flicker, please let me know all about this issue
Don't think of Yahoo as something you use.
Let's say you have to pay for Yahoo to keep it operational, though reep the profits. And they are unprofitable.
Thus you would be paying out money to keep yahoo and all of their business entities going ... nothing coming back.
What does a company like that do?
They started gobbling up companies to try and catch up with Google, but with an unfocused strategy. They've haven't had a strategy to make each division profitable. They've just bought companies and used their surplus to support them.

Add to that Google's strategy is different. Think of all the hands that google are in ... think Andoid. Instant customers. Yahoo has nothing that can compete against that. yahoo has been desktop centric and doesn't have a good competitive product to get into the mobile arena.

==> Why Yahoo's Core Business is Negatively Valued | Investopedia

making decision on spending on other things other companies didn't want (tv content in this example)
==> Yahoo $42M write-down caused by unprofitable 'Community'

and then the push to sell their internet business. Of course, the problem is that the internet business has a negative valuation.
==> Yahoo mulls shareholder demand to sell Internet business

==> Yahoo board 'weighing sale of core business and Marissa Mayer's future'

Matter of fact, Yahoo outsourced it's desktop advertising to ... Google.
Yahoo hasn't quite started the financial death spiral .. but it's getting closer.
Once it jettison's it's unprofitable units (think Flickr and others) then it will be more stable financially, although their core profitable businesses are reducing their financial outlook.

Most reactions

Back