Ye Olde Blacksmith Shoppe

"Nice! You definitely didn't over do these! Love the bottom one.. almost like a painting, with the soft tones and all! :) I actually like HDR.. and use it a bit myself. I just can't stand that wanna be "to realistic" under-proccessed look that is so popular with noobs!:lol:"

Bynx maybe you will understand that above few sentences..not my words just changed things a little bit.

My own words are these are awesome. I love the processing on theses, textures are great. HDR and wood seem to really work well for together. I am not sure what one I like better..Glad you posted some photos up. I always enjoy seeing what you come up with.

Nice, it that a functioning workshop?

In case its not obvious but the top pic is the room that you can see through the doorway in the bottom pic. Photomatix and Photoshop are really a marriage made in heaven and this kind of shooting situation is ideal for HDR.

Netskimmer its our local small town museum village. It operates through volunteers and admission price through spring, summer and fall, mainly for the school kids to go and see how life was a few years ago.

"Nice! You definitely didn't over do these! Love the bottom one.. almost like a painting, with the soft tones and all! :) I actually like HDR.. and use it a bit myself. I just can't stand that wanna be "to realistic" under-proccessed look that is so popular with noobs!:lol:"

Bynx maybe you will understand that above few sentences..not my words just changed things a little bit.

My own words are these are awesome. I love the processing on theses, textures are great. HDR and wood seem to really work well for together. I am not sure what one I like better..Glad you posted some photos up. I always enjoy seeing what you come up with.

Not sure I understand what you're trying to say. But this was directed at Bynx so oh well *shrug

In case its not obvious but the top pic is the room that you can see through the doorway in the bottom pic. Photomatix and Photoshop are really a marriage made in heaven and this kind of shooting situation is ideal for HDR.

Netskimmer its our local small town museum village. It operates through volunteers and admission price through spring, summer and fall, mainly for the school kids to go and see how life was a few years ago.

You're right, Photomatix and CS5 are a marriage made in heaven.

There is lots to see in #1. I like the lines of the ceiling that take you to the windows and the tools on the walls. The highlights in the windows are coming in a tad hot with some detail loss.

#2 is really nice too. I like how the dimensionality of the room and the next room is captured and emphasized with the HDR. Highlights through the window look spot on in the left frame window.

Good work with both. Was the inside of the workshop roped off, or were you able to roam about freely? I'm guessing your shooting choices were limited given most of these types of places are roped off. It would have been interesting to see some closer detail shots with some HDR goodness. I'd love to see a shot of the tools a little closer-- textures and detail and such.

Not sure I understand what you're trying to say. But this was directed at Bynx so oh well *shrug

If you read joels recent thread you should catch on pretty quick. Pay close attention to the first response...

The place wasnt roped off at all. The museum wasnt actually opened. They let our camera club in for 3 hours for a private shoot. If there were any roped areas we just took the ropes down. A couple of buildings werent open and still under renovation. But since everything is by volunteer work goes slowly.

Vip, I seem to remember it was something Charlie Gipson said in another thread.

The place wasnt roped off at all. The museum wasnt actually opened. They let our camera club in for 3 hours for a private shoot. If there were any roped areas we just took the ropes down. A couple of buildings werent open and still under renovation. But since everything is by volunteer work goes slowly.

Vip, I seem to remember it was something Charlie Gipson said in another thread.

Awesome! In that case, I'd be really interested to see how an HDR would turn out directly in front of the left frame window in the second frame, maybe in portrait orientation. Get the nice tools hanging above the window, the tools on the work table, and the scenery outside.

I imagine you are thinking of something like this Rotanimod.....

I took this on a previous shoot at an old working flour mill that had a working woodshop on the top floor. The shot is just like you described.

Here is a shot I screwed up and tried to salvage by converting to sepia and giving it an old look.

Last edited:
This is probably a total "newbie" question.....so please forgive me.

How do you get the effect of the soft/fuzzy look on the image? Post processing?

I imagine you are thinking of something like this Rotanimod.....

2mn3sxu.jpg

I took this on a previous shoot at an old working flour mill that had a working woodshop on the top floor. The shot is just like you described.

I like this one you can taste the saw dust and feel the environment. Great joB!!

Killbill, in this case I used Nik Silver Efex to do the conversion to sepia. It also gives the faded edges as well. Its a great piece of software and the best way I know of when converting from color to B&W.

Killbill, in this case I used Nik Silver Efex to do the conversion to sepia. It also gives the faded edges as well. Its a great piece of software and the best way I know of when converting from color to B&W.

Thank you! I have a lot to learn and I appreciate all the help I can get!

Most reactions

Back