Yes, I do shoot weddings..... occasionally!

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Today's ceremony was a very casual wedding at a local park (And by casual, I mean: The bride picked her bouquet in the garden of their B&B on their way to the park, I was one witness, and they grabbed a lady from a big family picnic to be the other...). They were a great couple and a ton of fun to work with. This image caught my eye as I was transferring the files... is it just me, or does she have a little Goldie Hawn thing going on?

Brenda_A_WEB.jpg

More to follow when I get to actually processing them. As always, comments, critique and suggestions always appreciated.

A low maintenance bride! That's awesome! Nice pic. I kinda, sorta see GH since you mentioned it, but never would have on my own.

No Goldie Hawn, but I definitely see a Lauren Hutton thing! I like the shot, the way the ropes create a frame within a frame, of the face. Not sure about the hand holding the bouquet, doesn't quite look right hanging, but don't have an alternative either. It may just be the image resolution, but there's a softness on the face overall, like the DOF may have been a tad shallow, but I'm an eye fanatic who counts every eyelash. As always a solid shot, that I'm sure the bride will be thrilled with.

Since I'm shooting a wedding tomorrow evening myself, some of which will be outside, would you mind sharing your lighting on this? Flash, Reflectors, other background on the shot? I pretty much have it planned out already, but it never hurts to hear others experiences.

A low maintenance bride! That's awesome! Nice pic. I kinda, sorta see GH since you mentioned it, but never would have on my own.
Thanks! :)

Pretty bride, nice photo as always.....
Thank-you, sir!

No Goldie Hawn, but I definitely see a Lauren Hutton thing! I like the shot, the way the ropes create a frame within a frame, of the face. Not sure about the hand holding the bouquet, doesn't quite look right hanging, but don't have an alternative either. It may just be the image resolution, but there's a softness on the face overall, like the DOF may have been a tad shallow, but I'm an eye fanatic who counts every eyelash. As always a solid shot, that I'm sure the bride will be thrilled with.

Since I'm shooting a wedding tomorrow evening myself, some of which will be outside, would you mind sharing your lighting on this? Flash, Reflectors, other background on the shot? I pretty much have it planned out already, but it never hurts to hear others experiences.
Nope, focus is good; you're seeing the result of a quick & dirty exposure increase on the face followed by a somewhat ham-fisted noise reduction. You might be right on the Lauren Hutton thing...

Lighting is 100% ambient - I had lots of stuff with me, but never got a chance to use it.

Lighting is 100% ambient - I had lots of stuff with me, but never got a chance to use it.

Really, you lucked out with some great light.

In the process of packing my stuff, for tomorrow. Have some shots outside under a big tree. Taking reflectors and speedlights, flags......maybe the kitchen sink. LOL

Last edited:
Nice image, she doesn't look scared at all...

Really, you lucked out with some great light.

In the process of packing my stuff, for tomorrow. Have some shots outside under a big tree. Taking reflectors and speedlights, flags......maybe the kitchen sink. LOL
You wouldn't buy "skill"???? :(

Yes, I did luck out. Good luck with your shoot!

Nice image, she doesn't look scared at all...
I hope not!

You wouldn't buy "skill"???? :(

Yes, I did luck out. Good luck with your shoot!

In your case I'd attribute at least 99% skill. LOL As to my shoot, I won't lie I'm wound tighter then a two dollar watch, as it's been 45 years since I've done anything like this.

In your case I'd attribute at least 99% skill. LOL As to my shoot, I won't lie I'm wound tighter then a two dollar watch, as it's been 45 years since I've done anything like this.
Mehhh, you got this dude. Just visualize the bride as Little Bit, and you'll knock it out of the park! ;)

Yes lightening is perfect in this case. You have captured a happy bride in a shoot. You can find little lightning issues by zooming through the face of the bride. But overall you have done a great job.

You didn't want to blow out the background more?

What aperture was this shot at?

I think it's a lovely photo. You know what you're doing (as always).

I usually have no critique to speak of and my only nitpick (and what drives me nuts with my photos when I don't catch some little thing in the corner or whatever) is that end of a branch or whatever along the top; a little crop across the top would probably not be a loss and keep the same nice balance you have in the photo.

Smoke I'd try to not get too caught up in using props etc.; as a teacher it's better to have more than you need and don't need to use it all. Breathe... I find you can do more in 2-3 seconds than you'd think (try counting it, there's time in a couple of seconds to make an adjustment). And - keep breathing! lol that supposedly helps you get focused on what you're doing if you take a breath, seriously! I found it helps if doing a presentation, etc.

And think about this - at least you aren't walking out on ice before a game hoping to not fall on your a$& in front of thousands of people! lol I was nuts enough to not really care if I did (I didn't) I was too excited and wouldn't have missed it for the world. Have fun!

I see a little bit of a Lauren Hutton type of thing going on. Not so much Goldie Hawn in my opinion.

Most reactions

Back