Yet another tripod thread

Thank you all for your input. I realize I should go a bit higher in budget.
According to what most of you say, I should go for:
MANFROTTO MK055XPRO3-BHQ2
MANFROTTO MK055XPRO3-BHQ2

It also has that lovely sidearm that will work great for architecture.

Just a question, what is the difference between the 055 and 190 manfrotto?

Check the specifications:

Manfrotto MK055PRO3-BHQ2
Key Features
  • Load Capacity: 17.6 lb
  • Max Height: 71.5"
  • Min Height: 9"
  • Folded Length: 28.5"
Manfrotto MT190XPRO3-BHQ2
Key Features
  • Load Capacity: 15.4 lb
  • Max Height: 67.5"
  • Min Height: 8.3"
  • Folded Length: 27.7"

Thanks!
So for the rest these are pretty much equal?
I see the weight of the tripods are same, and the difference between folded length is very small. But the 055 can hold a 2lb more of weight. Is it worth the 40€ more?

If you don't need carbon fiber than used is definitely the way to go. The used market is kept stocked by those who do want the weight saving achievable with fiber.

Personally I find the requirements of a tripod for macro to be totally different to one for long lenses. For macro you want to get low & be able to set up in odd arrangements so I like a Benbo type for this I have a ball head and focus rail fitted on mine, but would prefer a geared head to the ball.
For long lenses stability is more critical I have a Manfrotto 58B with a heavy duty fluid head that can take even a 4000mm lens but I wouldn't carry it more than about 250m I would expect the Manfrotto 190 to be quite enough for you longish lens & everyday use, but it wouldn't be my favorite for macro.

If you do a lot of shooting with a long lens a gimbal head is worth investigating, but they're not much good for other types of shooting.
A geared head is great when you want complete control, but it's slower to use than a ball head, a pistol grip head is quicker still though reports suggest some don't grip as well as they should (mines fine).

Last edited:
Thanks!
I see the weight of the tripods are same, and the difference between folded length is very small. But the 055 can hold a 2lb more of weight. Is it worth the 40€ more?

Have a closer look at the specifications again, the 055 is .5 kg heavier than the 019. Only you can make the decision if the extra 40€ is worth it.

Manfrotto MK055XPRO3-BHQ2 Aluminum Tripod with XPRO Ball Head and 200PL QR Plate
vs
Manfrotto MT190XPRO3 Aluminum Tripod Kit with MHXPRO-BHQ2 XPRO Ball Head with 200PL Quick Release System

The difference mostly comes down to your height, in my opinion. If you are 5’9” (175cm) or taller, you’ll love the slightly bigger 055, since you will be able to fully extend the legs and have it be a good height for general use. If you are shorter, you may find having the legs fully extended puts the camera too high, even without raising the center column. In that case, the 190 legs may be a better fit. Either way, You really can’t go wrong with either.

Either way, You really can’t go wrong with either.

Agreed but I think I would err on the side of a taller tripod which can be made shorter but a shorter tripod cannot be made taller. Also, for me, not having to fully extend the center post is a big plus as it makes the entire setup more stable.

Thanks!

Have a closer look at the specifications again, the 055 is .5 kg heavier than the 019. Only you can make the decision if the extra 40€ is worth it.

Manfrotto MK055XPRO3-BHQ2 Aluminum Tripod with XPRO Ball Head and 200PL QR Plate
vs
Manfrotto MT190XPRO3 Aluminum Tripod Kit with MHXPRO-BHQ2 XPRO Ball Head with 200PL Quick Release System

Thanks! I actually compared on a Finnish website, and there the weight was put as the same >.>

The difference mostly comes down to your height, in my opinion. If you are 5’9” (175cm) or taller, you’ll love the slightly bigger 055, since you will be able to fully extend the legs and have it be a good height for general use. If you are shorter, you may find having the legs fully extended puts the camera too high, even without raising the center column. In that case, the 190 legs may be a better fit. Either way, You really can’t go wrong with either.

True that!

Either way, You really can’t go wrong with either.

Agreed but I think I would err on the side of a taller tripod which can be made shorter but a shorter tripod cannot be made taller. Also, for me, not having to fully extend the center post is a big plus as it makes the entire setup more stable.

Alright, I think its settled then, might not be perfect for everything. But it checks many boxes.
If i do find a used 055 of 190, It will be one of those, but unlike the US, they are hard to get by in Finland. If I buy new, it will be the 055.

Great. You will really enjoy it and it will last through numerous cameras and adventures.

Also, I've been to Finland four times in the last six years and really enjoyed it. Next time, Lapland.

[QUOTE="petrochemist, post: 4038990]I have a Manfrotto 58B.[/QUOTE]

One of the fastest tripods to set up...i have had one for over 20 years...the trigger system makes height adjustment soooo fast and easy...sort of spoils you for other lock systems. Karl Taylor has a good YouTube video on why this is his tripod of choice.

The weight of 13.5 pounds makes it too heavy for many people.

[QUOTE="petrochemist, post: 4038990]I have a Manfrotto 58B.

One of the fastest tripods to set up...i have had one for over 20 years...the trigger system makes height adjustment soooo fast and easy...sort of spoils you for other lock systems. Karl Taylor has a good YouTube video on why this is his tripod of choice.

The weight of 13.5 pounds makes it too heavy for many people.[/QUOTE]
Yes sadly it will never make it as a travel tripod, but it's sturdiness, height, ease of adjustment are all great.
I wish I had a full time studio to leave it set up in, I'd get much more use out of it that way. I've only had mine 10 years having brought it used with a manfrotto 3 way head for £100.

Great. You will really enjoy it and it will last through numerous cameras and adventures.

Also, I've been to Finland four times in the last six years and really enjoyed it. Next time, Lapland.

Next time you are in Finland, why don't you come visit and we grab some pictures together ;)

Next time you are in Finland, why don't you come visit and we grab some pictures together ;)

Ok. My extended family (a childhood friend married a Finn) are in Hanko an Helsinki.

Two of my favorite shots from your country.

20171227045113_IMG_3560-01_copy_1084x1517.jpeg

20171230045001_IMG_3649-01_copy_1382x986.jpeg

Attachments

• 20171227050237_IMG_3573-01_copy_1382x986.jpeg
    20171227050237_IMG_3573-01_copy_1382x986.jpeg
    307.1 KB · Views: 72

Most reactions

New Topics

Back