Young Osprey has taken flight.....finally!

EricD

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ericdiller.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well finally after all these weeks the young osprey finally took off on 6-25-09 for the first time. Had to wait this one out for a few hours but it was obvious flight was about to happen.
Mama Osprey flew to a near by tower and called to her young. I could see the little guy pacing back and forth, squatting those legs like he wanted to jump.....then finally the big moment. I took so many photos while he was flying around my head, sometimes with in 30 feet.

First leap off the nest......
PIC_6554.jpg

Loving the freedom off flight...all those months in that nest!!
PIC_6605.jpg

PIC_6604.jpg

PIC_6587.jpg

PIC_6584.jpg

Man was he getting close to those power lines!!!!

PIC_6603.jpg

PIC_6576.jpg

Trying to land near me on the top of the parking garage...but changed his mind.....

PIC_6570.jpg

A real close fly over right over m head...thought he was going to snatch my caamera!!

PIC_6592.jpg

Wow, that's amazing... what a cool moment to experience! What a stunning bird, too! I've never actually seen one. Look at those eyes! Some amazing shots, too! Thank you very much for sharing, I really enjoyed looking at these. I continue to be amazed at how people manage to rip off shots of birds as I simply cannot manage to do it myself.

Wicked Awesome work Erik. Time well spent getting those first flight photos.

You Rock.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

DeadEye.

Thank you for sharing this series. I've been following along since the start and it's really nice to see his first flight.

Wow great shots. What lens do you use for these shots on your D300?

I am sooo jealous and really glad you were there to capture the action. Wrent there 2 babies?? Thanks and regards from NY.

you must be thinking of the Eaglets I was posting as well, Osprey only had one chick, her other egg never hatched. Last year she had 3 chicks that made the fledge!

Josh220:

I used a Nikkor 200-400mm F4 ED, IF, VR lens

It should be fine on the power lines as long as it does not touch a ground (i.e. the post itself).

Awesome shots, I wish I had good sites around me where I could take pictures of birds of prey.

WOW !

Beautiful images. And what a moment to be a part of.

Just goes to show Patience is a tool all photographers should carry in their bags. Cheap too.

:thumbup:

Wow...these are seriously incredible. I think these are some of the best BIF shots I"ve seen to date....and I've seen alot on here and other forums. I can't believe how beatiful the color and sharpness is on these....and those eyes. Plus you do an awesome job at framing your subject. You are very, very deserving of such a nice lens.....not many of us could probably even handle that lens well, let alone do such magic with it.

Eric, I'm so thrilled you were able to be there as the osprey fledged (and so that you could take pics to share with us!) How exciting, and what wonderful shots you got too. The eyes are soooo intense when both are fixed on the camera, wow! Too many good ones in this series to pick out. Thanks a BUNCH for following and posting the progress of the osprey chick.

Most reactions

Back