Young Photographer Looking To Buy Camera

Discussion in 'Buy and Sell' started by Silver_Nwyrr, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Silver_Nwyrr

Silver_Nwyrr TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am 14 years old and at limited supply of cash, I need a camera. My goal in life is to be a sucessful photgrapher, and as such, I am in need of a camera. Now knowing next to nothing about cameras, I was hoping I could get some advice on which camera to buy... I am looking for a camera with a fast shutter speed, able to change lenses [or do all digital cameras do that?], sharp imaging, and a good strong zoom. Any suggestions?:greenpbl:

2. DigiJay

DigiJay TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    how much money do you have to spend?

3. ztekneq

ztekneq TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    canon xt

4. Mathias13

Mathias13 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nikon D40/D40X/D60

5. pm63

pm63 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    CANON IS TEH BEST! LOLOLOLOL IF GOD WAS A PHOTOGRAPHER, HE WOULD SHOOT A CANON!

NIKON IS TEH BEST! LOLOLOLOL IF GOD WAS A PHOTOGRAPHER HE WOULD SHOOT A NIKON!

Ignore opinions like that.

You probably want a digital SLR if you're looking to get into proper photography and learn about it. How much do you have to spend? All accessories and let's say a 55-200 zoom lens included, I think that realistically you are looking at at least £500/$1000.

Any more of an exact figure on how much you'd like to spend?

6. ztekneq

ztekneq TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    as you can see i wasnt arguing either... just stated that the xt would be a great starting point for him. basically the same opinion you had... :hail:

7. ChickenFriedRyce

ChickenFriedRyce TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi!

I'm the same age and I was looking for a dSLR. If you call around quickly to your local Best Buys, ask them if they have anymore Sony A100 cameras in stock and if they do, ask them to physically check the price. I heard a few people got a brand new A100 for less than $200 while others who did this found the at the $300 range.

Good luck and happy hunting!

8. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You are gonna want something older than what most of us are using. At your age I have to assume this is coming out of either dad's wallet or a paper rout.

Your best bet is to pick up something from the seventies and eighties. Yes it's film but you can spread out the cost, contrary to what a lot of people would tell you. These bodies are inexpensive and so is a large portion of the lenses. The body will likely be more than capable of surviving anything you could do to it, they're built like tanks. You can prolly get one in working order any where from $100 to $300 USD and the lenses vary in price but can usually be found under a hundred.

One of the draw backs, The lenses you will need likely won't fit the newer dSLR bodies, making the transition to digital a little tougher on the wallet. That is down the road, you can ponder that later when you have a deicent job and don't need worry about price as much.

I was gonna point you to some bodies I know rather well and firmly believe are beginner friendly...but B&H doesn't have any in stock at the moment :(

Any who, My personal recommendations are the Canon EF or the Canon AE-1 They use Canons FD mount lenses, and will with out a doubt fit the bill for what you are looking for. The two links I provided take you to pages of information about the cameras, if you need anything translated just ask.

I am much more fond of the EF than the AE-1 but they are equally user friendly.

9. rooky

rooky TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  10. Battou

Photos NOT OK to edit
    cameraaddict is a Scam

11. rooky

rooky TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    nevermind then.... seemed like a good price. maybe too good

12. Battou

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What clued me in and sent me diggin up that post was the discription of a wide angle lens, If you look beyond the price tags it grows more clear that the people selling the merchendice know little about what they sell. Using corney discriptions for use as opposed to real information.

For example:

You can see the difference, but only once you get past the price tag. It's sad little tricks like this that keep places like this in business by targeting people who don't know much about what they are looking to buy, That is the only way they can mask their own ignorance.