Young Photographer Looking To Buy Camera

Silver_Nwyrr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am 14 years old and at limited supply of cash, I need a camera. My goal in life is to be a sucessful photgrapher, and as such, I am in need of a camera. Now knowing next to nothing about cameras, I was hoping I could get some advice on which camera to buy... I am looking for a camera with a fast shutter speed, able to change lenses [or do all digital cameras do that?], sharp imaging, and a good strong zoom. Any suggestions?:greenpbl:

CANON IS TEH BEST! LOLOLOLOL IF GOD WAS A PHOTOGRAPHER, HE WOULD SHOOT A CANON!

NIKON IS TEH BEST! LOLOLOLOL IF GOD WAS A PHOTOGRAPHER HE WOULD SHOOT A NIKON!

Ignore opinions like that.

You probably want a digital SLR if you're looking to get into proper photography and learn about it. How much do you have to spend? All accessories and let's say a 55-200 zoom lens included, I think that realistically you are looking at at least £500/$1000.

Any more of an exact figure on how much you'd like to spend?

CANON IS TEH BEST! LOLOLOLOL IF GOD WAS A PHOTOGRAPHER, HE WOULD SHOOT A CANON!

NIKON IS TEH BEST! LOLOLOLOL IF GOD WAS A PHOTOGRAPHER HE WOULD SHOOT A NIKON!

Ignore opinions like that.

You probably want a digital SLR if you're looking to get into proper photography and learn about it. How much do you have to spend? All accessories and let's say a 55-200 zoom lens included, I think that realistically you are looking at at least £500/$1000.

Any more of an exact figure on how much you'd like to spend?

as you can see i wasnt arguing either... just stated that the xt would be a great starting point for him. basically the same opinion you had... :hail:

Hi!

I'm the same age and I was looking for a dSLR. If you call around quickly to your local Best Buys, ask them if they have anymore Sony A100 cameras in stock and if they do, ask them to physically check the price. I heard a few people got a brand new A100 for less than $200 while others who did this found the at the $300 range.

Good luck and happy hunting!

You are gonna want something older than what most of us are using. At your age I have to assume this is coming out of either dad's wallet or a paper rout.

Your best bet is to pick up something from the seventies and eighties. Yes it's film but you can spread out the cost, contrary to what a lot of people would tell you. These bodies are inexpensive and so is a large portion of the lenses. The body will likely be more than capable of surviving anything you could do to it, they're built like tanks. You can prolly get one in working order any where from $100 to $300 USD and the lenses vary in price but can usually be found under a hundred.

One of the draw backs, The lenses you will need likely won't fit the newer dSLR bodies, making the transition to digital a little tougher on the wallet. That is down the road, you can ponder that later when you have a deicent job and don't need worry about price as much.

I was gonna point you to some bodies I know rather well and firmly believe are beginner friendly...but B&H doesn't have any in stock at the moment :(

Any who, My personal recommendations are the Canon EF or the Canon AE-1 They use Canons FD mount lenses, and will with out a doubt fit the bill for what you are looking for. The two links I provided take you to pages of information about the cameras, if you need anything translated just ask.

I am much more fond of the EF than the AE-1 but they are equally user friendly.

cameraaddict is a Scam

According to the BBB, this name is registered under the parent company Broadway Photo. Wasnt Broadway exposed as some back-alley type company? No real store, just an address in an alley in NY. According to the BBB they use about 20 different names for the same company. I would stay away.

Edited to add the contact information from BBB below:

Business Contact Information

Name:
BROADWAY PHOTO

Additional Business Names:
A&M Photo World
Best Camera
Camera Addict
Cameratopia
Digital Liquidators LLC
Ghu, LLC
Millenium Camera
Preferred Photo
Prestige Camera
Quest4Cameras
Regal Camera
TheDigitalExpo
Tronicity
Wild Digital LLC

Address:
337 East 89th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11236

View Location Map

Principal:
Ben Z. Cohen, President

Phone Number:
(718) 338-1800

Additional Phone Numbers:
(718) 338-0634
(800) 951-9542
(718) 338-1352
(800) 709-4491
(866) 407-3425
(800) 432-2180
(800) 572-6152
(718) 338-0634
(718) 837-5999
(718) 837-2666
(718) 837-5999
(718) 837-2666
(800) 819-6661
(800) 819-6661
(253) 423-3535
(718) 645-4800
(718) 645-6944
(800) 685-5140
(718) 663-7123
(917) 852-6536
(800) 957-6628

Fax Number:
(718) 338-3029

bwayphoto.com

Additional Websites:
BuyeRetail.com
amphotoworld.com
cameraaddict.com
cameratopia.com
digitalliquidators.com
kingcameras.com
preferedphoto.com
preferredphoto.com
prestigecamera.com
regalcamera.com
thedigitalexpo.com
tronicity.com
wilddigital.com

nevermind then.... seemed like a good price. maybe too good

nevermind then.... seemed like a good price. maybe too good

What clued me in and sent me diggin up that post was the discription of a wide angle lens, If you look beyond the price tags it grows more clear that the people selling the merchendice know little about what they sell. Using corney discriptions for use as opposed to real information.

For example:

cameraaddict said:
5. 0.5X Wide Angle Lens
Ever take a picture and couldn't fit the whole family in the picture. Well not any more. With this .42x Wide angle Lens, you'd be able to get everything in the picture and more. Great for Real Estate ...

B&H said:
Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Autofocus Lens for Digital Cameras

You can see the difference, but only once you get past the price tag. It's sad little tricks like this that keep places like this in business by targeting people who don't know much about what they are looking to buy, That is the only way they can mask their own ignorance.

yup it is trully sad. I didnt notice or know that they werent on the level. thanx for the heads up

you might want a second hand dSLR and one or two second hand lenses. I would not go for one superzoom, which will be superexpensive and will not get super image quality.

If you spend a lot of money on a new dSLR there will probably be no money left for lenses. And that new dSLR will fall in value quickly and will be the second-hand bargain of next year.

Most reactions

Back