Yuk...

Tammy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
They're here...

"Brood X is likely to be the largest insect emergence on Earth," said Keith Clay, a cicada expert at Indiana University.

Starting this week, across much of the eastern United States, from Georgia north to southern New York and as far west as Illinois, the cicadas will emerge from their 17 years of sucking on tree roots underground to engage in a two-week orgy of calling, mating, laying eggs and then dying.
"

Full text

cicada.jpg

and since this is a Yuk thread - I though I'd post this shot from when we painted the living room. My husband was taking a break from peeling off the wallpaper when from a distance he looked at the wall and saw this....

wall.jpg

That's one large freaky insect you have there, Tammy. I'm hoping you used a telephoto lense for that picture. :wink:

Tammy said:
a two-week orgy of calling, mating, laying eggs and then dying.

Sounds like MDowdey's dream vacation. :wink:

Great photos Tammy! I have never seen a cicada exactly like that one before.

No telephoto lens on this baby - My guess is it was about 2" long; it had just come out of it's shell, I think that is why it was so white. I remember camping the last time they were here - when I woke up in the morning the top of the tent had all these empty shells hanging from it .... yuk, yuk, yuk....

as for
a two-week orgy of calling, mating, laying eggs and then dying.

how could I read that and not think of this place!

Great shots Tammy! I'm glad I live out West. My wallpaper removing exercise wasn't nearly that interesting! :lol:

hmmm. there was some news article on cicadas the other day!

Tammy wrote:

I though I'd post this shot from when we painted the living room. My husband was taking a break from peeling off the wallpaper when from a distance he looked at the wall and saw this....

Hehehe

That happened to me too once .... but mine looked like a rabbit monster :shock:
Anyway cool pics
Thanxx for sharing

hmmm. there was some news article on cicadas the other day!

Most reactions

Back