Laptop for photo editing ideas.

Mitica100

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Back after a long absence here, many things have happened, mostly good ones. Now I come to y’all with a question:

What laptop should I consider for photo editing and why?

Since I am usually traveling during the summer I’d like to have a laptop 13 to 17 inch that has a good reputation in photo editing. Mac or PC?

Hope y’all are well and good.

TIA

Dimitri

If you're planning on using LR/PS, you'll find there's been substantial advances in both which require slightly different processing capabilities than previous versions. I can't speak for Mac, but in a PC that means a fast processor with 16-32gb of ram, a 2tb hard drive, and most importantly a REALLY GOOD graphics card with a minimum of 12gb on board ram. Both LR and PS leverage the GPU processor capabilities. While there are others out there the NVIDIA 4090 is very capable, with the Studio driver download. NVIDIA seems to be tuned in to Adobe with updates coming as soon as there's an update from Adobe.

For an out-of-the-box ready to go I'd suggest looking at the HP Omen series like the OMEN Laptop 17t-cm200, 17.3. It's a gaming computer, but the specs mirror the things you need in editing, and is customizable. I have an older Omen laptop I still use occasionally but my main computer is a Omen desktop, it handles all the latest AI features in LR/PS in the blink of an eye.

If you're planning on using LR/PS, you'll find there's been substantial advances in both which require slightly different processing capabilities than previous versions. I can't speak for Mac, but in a PC that means a fast processor with 16-32gb of ram, a 2tb hard drive, and most importantly a REALLY GOOD graphics card with a minimum of 12gb on board ram. Both LR and PS leverage the GPU processor capabilities. While there are others out there the NVIDIA 4090 is very capable, with the Studio driver download. NVIDIA seems to be tuned in to Adobe with updates coming as soon as there's an update from Adobe.

For an out-of-the-box ready to go I'd suggest looking at the HP Omen series like the OMEN Laptop 17t-cm200, 17.3. It's a gaming computer, but the specs mirror the things you need in editing, and is customizable. I have an older Omen laptop I still use occasionally but my main computer is a Omen desktop, it handles all the latest AI features in LR/PS in the blink of an eye.

Got to agree with this. ✅

I would vote mac 💯

Why???? I'm not discounting your choice, as I seriously considered going Mac on my last upgrade. What I found was, it isn't a clear choice anymore. Here's an interesting link to an article from last year, that mirrors what I found. PC vs Mac for Photography Listing your positive and negative experience with Mac might be helpful.

Why???? I'm not discounting your choice, as I seriously considered going Mac on my last upgrade. What I found was, it isn't a clear choice anymore. Here's an interesting link to an article from last year, that mirrors what I found. PC vs Mac for Photography Listing your positive and negative experience with Mac might be helpful.
my teens and husband are gamers and they have PCs. I gave PC a good try but for me, I love MAC.

TRUST ME I HAVE THIS ARGUMENT A LOT WITH MY OWN HUSBAND AND I KNOW ITS PERSONAL PREFERENCE :)

#1 color/display is ALWAYS consistent with my prints. No matter the (pro)lab, it prints just like I see on my screen. With my PC I had to calibrate every few months. This is probably my main selling point

#2 I use adobe products and everything just works well with that. I feel like a lot of people in the computer arts world use MAC so the software they make is designed for MAC...is this wrong? idk? LOL

#3 i really love TIME MACHINE backup. I am a school photographer and I have A FREAKING TON of photos. Time machine backup makes it super easy to stay backed up and to get back to work WHEN your HD fails. ( I also use cloud backup).

#4...its pretty? I like it? I like the interface? Idk like I said, I know its personal preference.

I currently have the MAC studio and its amazing. Super fast, the monitor is so clear and crisp. No complaints!

I will also add that I hate being on the computer. Its the worst part of my job, for me. I hate messing with stuff...I just want to sit down and work. For me, MAC works well for that.

I know that PC has the capability to do everything a MAC can do, but the fact that MAC comes straight out the box, just the way I like it and want it to work is a huge selling point for me as well.

@paigew thank you for the follow up. Hopefully it gives the OP some useful information to base his decision on.

"the fact that MAC comes straight out the box, just the way I like it" valid point. Personal preferences are important in work flow, for me the HP Omen was the same way.

I don't mind the driver updates, but Windows is a PITA on their constant updates and patches. Is MAC that way?

@paigew thank you for the follow up. Hopefully it gives the OP some useful information to base his decision on.

"the fact that MAC comes straight out the box, just the way I like it" valid point. Personal preferences are important in work flow, for me the HP Omen was the same way.

I don't mind the driver updates, but Windows is a PITA on their constant updates and patches. Is MAC that way?
no, another reason why I love it. I'm constantly having to help my kids with new updates on theirs. We have updates, but they just don't interfere...idk, I'm not really a computer person.

I'm not really a computer person.

I'm hearing ya! On a rare occasion, I don't mind chilling and doing edits. But I'm usually feeling like I could better utilise my time outside.

I'd say that I wish my computer could just read my mind and do my edits exactly like I would, but I also say be careful what you wish for... 😬

Why, I'm more confused than ever... J/K 🤣

Great points to consider, by all means. I will check both Macs and PCs, like the ones mentioned. Wifey has a gaming Asus which I like, tons of storage and the display is one of the best I've seen. Might try to swindle her out of it and replace it with another PC. Dunno... lol

That being said, a huge Thank You to all that contributed here.

I'm hearing ya! On a rare occasion, I don't mind chilling and doing edits. But I'm usually feeling like I could better utilise my time outside.

I'd say that I wish my computer could just read my mind and do my edits exactly like I would, but I also say be careful what you wish for... 😬
I've actually started hiring out majority of my edits 😅

More time for gardening 🙏

Why, I'm more confused than ever... J/K 🤣

Great points to consider, by all means. I will check both Macs and PCs, like the ones mentioned. Wifey has a gaming Asus which I like, tons of storage and the display is one of the best I've seen. Might try to swindle her out of it and replace it with another PC. Dunno... lol

That being said, a huge Thank You to all that contributed here.
I wouldn't worry about storage, you can use an external so easily! Go for processing speed over storage space. I don't store any files on my computer. I use all externals.

@Mitica100 with laptops there's only so much room, to put stuff, and dual internal drives seem to be a rarity on today's PCs. At a minimum you need at least 1tb and preferably 2. Again I can't emphasize the importance of the graphics card with on board ram, for photo editing with today's software technology. If you're in an area with solid high speed internet, online storage is cheap and safe. If you're unlucky like me and live in the sticks, external drives are not that expensive. With online and local storage it's important to establish good file management from the beginning.

Back after a long absence here, many things have happened, mostly good ones. Now I come to y’all with a question:

What laptop should I consider for photo editing and why?

Since I am usually traveling during the summer I’d like to have a laptop 13 to 17 inch that has a good reputation in photo editing. Mac or PC?

Hope y’all are well and good.

TIA

Dimitri
I'm generally not a big fan of apple products but I find the macbook screen better than any other laptop screen I've tried.

Most reactions

Back