What's new

1000$ budget

zabulondesigns

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 3, 2011
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Location
North carolina :(
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I finally have gotten enogh to get a camera after harrasing my husband and other family members :lol:. Right now I want to shoot on location I need some help about which equipment I would need. For the camera I dont plan on spending more then 800$ so that leaves me with 300$ for equipment. What should I get?
 
IMO, it would be better to invest more in lenses/flash than the camera body itself.
For $250 or less you can get a decent Nikon D70/70s body. It's a little old, but it has a built in AF motor which allows you to autofocus with non AF-S lenses. If you were to buy a newer camera with a built in motor, you'd need to spend a good amount on a D90/D7000.
If you're on a $1k budget, that leaves you with $750 to spend on lenses and other equipment. What you choose really depends on what you're planning to shoot.
 
I finally have gotten enogh to get a camera after harrasing my husband and other family members :lol:. Right now I want to shoot on location I need some help about which equipment I would need. For the camera I dont plan on spending more then 800$ so that leaves me with 300$ for equipment. What should I get?

Can you explain what you mean?
 
A good size (comfortable for you) 5in1 reflector, a couple of light stands, umbrellas, speedlights and inexpensive wireless triggers ( Cactus 4-Channel Wireless Flash Trigger V2s | eBay) and either an extra stand or a thrift store tripod and a clamp for holding the reflector.

You'll want to use one stand for a main and the other for a kicker and the reflector for fill.

For groups bracket yourself with the two umbrellas.
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Lets not forget some post proccessing software for after the free trial period expires.
 
I always recommend people spend 2/3rds of their budget on lenses and lighting. So for $350 your looking at a nikon d80 or canon equivalent.
 
I have to agree with those above, don't worry about dropping the bulk of your cash on the body, get a D70 or D80 and spend money on lenses, speed lights, stands, umbrellas, triggers, etc.
 
You could go my route and pick up a used D1X.. although it might be a little intimidating if you're a beginner...
 
It depends on what you want to photograph. If you're into landscapes, you don't want to spend a lot on a setup requiring lights, reflectors, etc., though those would be helpful for portraits. You also might want to consider how much post processing you want to do as there is a range of programs that could cost you a lot potentially. Also, a kit lens might be good to start, but depending on what you want to photograph might not be the best first choice. Often the recommendation is given to get the kit lens, you can get them for less bundled with a body, and then see what range you shoot mostly and branch out from there. A tripod might useful for low light and night shots requiring longer exposures. Don't forget small accessories in your budget as well, such as memory cards, extra batteries, lens cleaning kit, camera bag or backpack, etc. You don't say if you are moving up from another camera, have lenses already, or if you are starting fresh with a DSLR for the first time. More information might be helpful in gaining specific advice useful to your enquiry.
 
I recommend a used Nikon D80. You can get one used on eBay for about $350 (I know as this is what mine sold for and it was in fantastic condition). Just make sure you get one with low shutter actuations. The D80 was/is a great camera to start with and will provide you with more features/quick access buttons/dials than the D3000's/D5000's. I also highly recommend the kit lens that originally came with the D80 (Nikkor 18-135mm). It is razor sharp and a great lens to learn with. After spending some time with this lens you will then be able to better understand what you want in your next lens purchase and this lens gives you a great focal range to starte with. I also recommend getting the 50mm 1.8d or the 35mm f1.8g. Can't go wrong with either of these fast primes that will allow you some better low light shooting. Might was well through in the SB-600 speedlight as well. It is a great one to start with. So D80 ($350), 18-135mm ($250), 50mm ($125), SB-600 ($220): Total = $945.
 
A good size (comfortable for you) 5in1 reflector, a couple of light stands, umbrellas, speedlights and inexpensive wireless triggers ( Cactus 4-Channel Wireless Flash Trigger V2s | eBay) and either an extra stand or a thrift store tripod and a clamp for holding the reflector.

You'll want to use one stand for a main and the other for a kicker and the reflector for fill.

For groups bracket yourself with the two umbrellas.

... er, yes, fair enough, if what you'll be shooting mostly is people - if it's landscapes, sports, wildlife or street scenes then 90% of that's unnecessary. Gotta agree with few of the others, spend less than half your budget on the body and get the best glass you can afford - believe me, it'll pay massive dividends in both the short AND long term.
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Imo, $1000 is good enough for a beginner non-business photographer to start.

If i were you, i would get the D5100 with kit lens 18-55mm.
I'm going to start shooting to the field right on the next day, after the night i'm doing my manual homework.
From there, i would get some of the pictures, and start from reviewing myself "am i got the picture i've wanted"
Afterward, i'd ask anyone (either online or someone who has a sense of photography).
From their feedback, there should be another next step "what shoukd i do / get)

My personal commitment, i don't buy second hand camera. Beside it's risky, i've always hold my decision to start something right away from the best condition (talking about how ready you are, not "what's the best equipment to have").

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom