12-24 2.8 nikon

samm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How is this lens as far as sharp pictures for portrait shots ?I read it is a sharp image for a wide angle lens.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The lens i talk about is $2000.00 14-24 2.8
Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 AF-S G ED Lens

Last edited:
The second one is it .
Thanks

Of the 3 you mention which one is the sharpest picture ?

I just want the best i can have .

Im going monday to get the 14-24 2.8 .if i dont like it i can bring it back for something else they said.I deal with these folks often .

Or this for low light situtation in doors .
24mm f/1.4 G AF-S
like $2200.00

I want one of these for portraits .Portraits will be mostly outdoors .so im thinking the 2.8 be suffecient .

Cant make up my mind .
Of the 2 what would you get, and why the difference?

Last edited:
This lens is much better suited for landscape photography. If you are looking for a good all around portrait lens, I would go for the 24-70 f2.8. The lenses you are describing above would have to be used literally right up in the subjects face to fill the frame so unless you like cropping in post and have the MP to do it, I think a better choice would be the 24-70.

If you are after a prime for portraits, the minimum focal length for all around use would be 50mm. Personally, I prefer an 85mm. It is my belief that the closer one gets to the subject, the more "posed" the subject gets because the camera is all up in their face and they feel like they have to perform for the camera. I like candids, especially of my family members. BTW, f2.8 is a fast tele-lens and will do nicely in indoor low light. Of course it will be wonderful outdoors too.

Of the Holy Trinity, my first was the 24-70mm and is still my most used and most beloved lens.

NOTE: My comments are based on the assumption you sport a FX camera. If you are using a crop sensor camera then the focal lengths of all the lenses above are multiplied by 1.5 times (ex. 50mm = 75mm on a crop sensor camera). My choices would change slightly if I knew were running a crop sensor.

Last edited:
Yes i shoot a D4

Ill take a peek at the 24-70 2.8 also
thanks

It is so odd to see someone with a top of the line camera body asking about shooting portraits with a wide angle lens.

If you want to do portraits, get the 85/1.8G and save some cash.

Group & portrait shots are all new to me .Ive not shot people before .Thats why i ask .
Ill still get the 14-24 for landscape stuff.

Well, when you make your choice and buy, please let us know what you end up with and why you chose the way you did.

Good luck!

So many options .I get confused easily .Ill have something on monday .Ill end up going to the camera shop and trying different lens i speak of in a real situation.

Depending on the size of your camera shop, they may rent lenses. If not, there are places online that do. Perhaps you should try them out before you buy since the lenses you are discussing are huge dollars.

I can try them out in the camera shop i buy from .Ive got good relations with them .Ill take them for a few days and use them ,take back what i dont want .I know the owner of the shop .it works out well for me .
Cant be any worse then me buying my 800mm lol.

The lens i talk about ,he has them for rent also .so it works out good.I dont get charged a thing though.Untill i buy .Heck i can even get a glass from him pay ltr date.They have been good to me .Ive spent thousands there with them in the past few yrs .Good ole southern folks

Well i ended up getting the 24-70 2.8 & 50mm 1.4 photos to come soon ,Its raining outside now

Most reactions

Back