What's new

#1308

Bitter Jeweler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Apr 27, 2009
Messages
12,983
Reaction score
5,003
Location
Cleveland, Ohio
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
.





8136555338_0c89c42d10_o.jpg

Pinhole "lens".
​





.
 
Looks more like a foggy 3.14159...

I like the technique, and you have again shown some tight framing, but THIS image doesn't pluck my heartstrings much, unfortunately. I'll have to come back to it later and see if the second look is different.
 
I don't know about this, actually...can you give some hints ?
 
I like the concept but I would like to see it with a bit more clarity, it feels like there's not enough whites to being out the contrast. Almost too gray.
How did you convert this?
 
I used B&W conversion, rather than grayscale or desaturating.

It is a dirty gray scene, overall. It was taken at very high ISO, handheld with a pinhole lens. So there isn't any clarity or high contrast by nature.

Taking all that into account spending the day with the pinhole, I was looking for moody subjects that hopefully have a bit of mystery.
It was a very challenging task. Was it successful? *shrug* I was happy with some of the imagery I took home. Did I learn something for next time? Yes.
 
Bitter Jeweler said:
I used B&W conversion, rather than grayscale or desaturating.

It is a dirty gray scene, overall. It was taken at very high ISO, handheld with a pinhole lens. So there isn't any clarity or high contrast by nature.

Taking all that into account spending the day with the pinhole, I was looking for moody subjects that hopefully have a bit of mystery.
It was a very challenging task. Was it successful? *shrug* I was happy with some of the imagery I took home. Did I learn something for next time? Yes.

Interesting, I'll have to look up more information on pinhole lenses as I'm not very familiar with them. It's one way to throw yourself out of your comfort zone. Never a bad thing IMO

As for moodiness, you definitely achieved it and I think you can insert mysteriousness in there as well. This makes me think of a photo that would have been taken a very long time ago of some well preserved ruin in Greece.
 
You can make you own pinhole lens from a body cap...


4471457114_9ff97a8f33.jpg
 
Interesting....things that make you go hmmm...
 
So, how's the AF on that attachment?

j/k. Now you've seriously piqued my interest. I've seen some people in my photoclub play with them, and unfortunately they treated it more like a "proof-of-concept" than a way to obtain interesting images, and what you're showing is definitely different. What kind of shutter speeds are we talking here? 30 sec? 30 minutes?
 
I don't remember the settings. It was pretty high ISO, sometimes maxed at 25600. I was always trying to maintain a shutter speed under a second, not fast enough to stop motion, but not so long that things were totally blurred handheld. This was indeed playing with a technique, aimed for a desired look, rather than using a tripod and trying to get the clearest image from a pinhole lens.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom