18-55mm Lens question

asfixiate

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just curious. Is the 18-55mm lens that comes with the Rebel XT meant to be used for auto focus only? The focal length ring is easy to switch but there's barely anything to hold on to when handling the focusing ring.

Is this one of the factors besides speed and aperture that makes kit lenses ok and not excellent?

See also "Kit lens... Why?"

I think what you're getting at is that the kit lenses don't have full-time manual focus override which is true, and they also have pretty cheesy manual focus rings. No, they're not intended for manually focusing. I've never really found that to be a big deal, though. I still hardly ever manually focus even on my nicer lenses that have much bigger focus rings, and also instant manual focus override.

I use auto focus most of the time. In fact the only time I'm not using autofocus is if I'm taking a picture of something that won't allow me to focus on it.

It seems that autofocus is so highly frowned upon in this forum. Why wouldn't we want to use the technology that makes everyting easier?

By the way I'm not saying you are frowning upon it. You as well as several others are the reason I keep coming back to this forum. There's only few members who make the forum "unfun".

It seems that autofocus is so highly frowned upon in this forum. Why wouldn't we want to use the technology that makes everyting easier?
huh? :confused:

You got me... What gave you that impression? I did catch the part about you not saying me specifically. The Nikon D40 won't autofocus with a lot of Nikon's older lenses so I've been pointing out how you don't "need" autofocus "all the time" and can still use a lot of these lenses no problemo for non-serious stuff or if you're just learning. I know this has given some mixed messages to some people but I think that was cleared up. I don't think anybody is truly frowning on using autofocus here, but maybe I'm wrong. If they are, they're dorks. :mrgreen:

As you progress with your shooting you will find there are times when manual focus works better, for instance when taking macro shots, or pre-focussing for a fast moving subject.

I use auto focus most of the time, but there are times when manual is better, or the only way to get a proper focus.

I wouldn't say that auto focus is frowned upon in this forum at all. I can't say I remember anyone trying to cut down auto focus in the time I have been a member.

Cheers

Is this one of the factors besides speed and aperture that makes kit lenses ok and not excellent?
Bingo!

I've seen a couple threads where it seemed like the posters were frowning upon beginners and made the poster feel that using manual focus is the only way to fly type of stuff.

Overall this forum has been helpful but there's the occasional member that is more brash than helpful.

Mav, I've read a lot of your posts and they're always helpful. Same goes for you mike. 250Gimp I haven't seen a lot of yours but you are now on helpful list.

I find myself using manual focus a lot lately mainly to understand the concept of focusing as well as for close up shots and learning to keep the camera still when shooting.(Caffeine addict)

I would suggest that it's almost always helpful to try things in manual mode...whether it's focus or exposure. The better you understand something, the easier it should be for you to control it and use it effectively.

There is nothing inherently wrong with using automatic modes or settings...as long as you are only letting the technology do the work for you, not the thinking.

I swear I have ADHD. I could never use MF as most of my shots are of moving things or with me moving. I want to buy a boat.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back