1st attempt @ smoke (C&C Please)

Do you mind if I ask what your settings were? In the first image there is a bit of noise evident, and that's common for smoke pics. I would suggest starting with an ISO of 100 if possible, and make sure to expose them properly. Use a snooted flash to control the intensity and direction of the flash if you can.

I kind of like #1. They are kind of noisy, but great for your first try! :thumbsup:

Clawed... The ISO was 1600. I knew there would be a fair amount of noise. I do not have strobes yet, so I'm using hot lights at the moment (a 300w for this shot). Since this was my first attempt, I now know to go bigger next time. Any other comments or suggestions? Thank you.

Actually, not too bad for 1600 ISO. I like the first, but how did you control the flow of smoke? I would suggest using a spoon over the smoke to see what kind of interesting patterns you can get. It's all about trial and error here since smoke can be so unpredictable.

Also, you may try adding other elements to your smoke shots to make them really stand out. For example, I took this during my first smoke shoot, after taking way too many shots that all began to look the same after a while:

4382517174_126a88506e_o.jpg

And, hey, if you are a smoker, why not try to get in the frame yourself for what could turn out to be a great self-portrait?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back