1year...finally nice to go outside!

nkmaurer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My nephew is finally 1!!!! I wanted to find a few new spots outdoors since it was finally nice outside one day. I told myself I was not going to use flash at all......but that lasted not even 2 minutes. I was getting some really weird shadows or my images were blown out and Maddux was not going to give me the time to figure it all out! But, I thought I would share them anyways.

Sorry if the 'nk' is distracting......I usually take it off before posting on here but it is getting a little late and I am ready for bed :)

3095.jpg

3111.jpg

3. I know technically this isn't a great pic.....but he is my nephew and this expression makes me melt :)
3137.jpg

3141.jpg

3169.jpg

3188.jpg

3240.jpg

3267.jpg

3279.jpg

haha, impressive!
4,6,8 and 9 are favs, love the backgrounds

Here's my .02 for what its worth...

I think that you are over using your flash. When people use flash on too high of a power, the photos start to take on a very snapshot feel to them. I think this is because the general public, who do take snapshot, always use flash.

If you are shooting a subject in straight sun, you should only use your flash as your fill. If you are shooting in shade, turn your flash way down!

These appear as the the flash is your main light, which is what is making them look snapshotty to me.

Here's my .02 for what its worth...

I think that you are over using your flash. When people use flash on too high of a power, the photos start to take on a very snapshot feel to them. I think this is because the general public, who do take snapshot, always use flash.

If you are shooting a subject in straight sun, you should only use your flash as your fill. If you are shooting in shade, turn your flash way down!

These appear as the the flash is your main light, which is what is making them look snapshotty to me.

How do you use your flash as a fill in the sun?

I stated this wrong, you are actually using the ambient light as your fill and your flash as you main. You have to have a very powerful flash, but it can be done. I always measure my flash to be about 2/3 greater than my ambient reading.

This doesn't always work at noon with the sun high and bright but it can be done!

Most reactions

Back