Tight Knot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.lensphotoworld.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

here are 2 photos for C&C, 1 is a panned shot to denote speed, the other is a cat in a tree, to show sharp eyes and blurred foreground and background.
Chaimy-motionthroughshutterspeed-panning.jpg

Cat-Selectivefocus.jpg

The first one looks blurry to me. I like the idea of the second but the Cat is underexposed by a stop or so.

The first one looks blurry to me. I like the idea of the second but the Cat is underexposed by a stop or so.
The first one is meant to be blurred, it's a panned shot, meant to show motion.
The 2nd, had a very gray overcast sky, and if I had raised the exposure, it would have blown out the sky. So I'm personally happy with the compromise, if you are able to get it better for me, please do so, I still have a lot to learn.

Sorry. I should have been more clear. The first one looks too blurry for me, even for a panning shot. I would prefer to see more of the person in focus.

I understand what you are saying about the second one and it is good to be cautious of the over exposed sky. Next time maybe try a little fill flash to bump the exposure on the subject. If you did this you could also underexpose the sky and background a little to give the subject a little more focus in the shot.

Hope this helps.

Sorry. I should have been more clear. The first one looks too blurry for me, even for a panning shot. I would prefer to see more of the person in focus.

I understand what you are saying about the second one and it is good to be cautious of the over exposed sky. Next time maybe try a little fill flash to bump the exposure on the subject. If you did this you could also underexpose the sky and background a little to give the subject a little more focus in the shot.

Hope this helps.
Is this panned one better?
Chaimy-motionthroughshutterspeed-panning-moreinfocus.jpg

And the I tried using the fill-flash for the cat, but it over-exposed the cat. The on-board flash seems to be at full capacity all the time, not sure how to tone it down to work just as a fill flash.
Cat-Selectivefocuswithfillflash.jpg

What kind of camera do you have? You should be able to use Flash Exposure Compensation to "tone down" the on board flash and just throw a little light at the kitty. Read your manual and you should be able to figure it out. The cat does not look overexposed to me in the second image you posted. That dang branch is in the way though.

Last edited:
For #2 also try adjusting curves

What kind of camera do you have? You should be able to use Flash Exposure Compensation to "tone down" the on board flash and just throw a little light at the kitty. Read your manual and you should be able to figure it out. The cat does not look overexposed to me in the second image you posted. That dang branch is in the way though.

First of all, thank you for your responses. I have a Canon T1i. I'll look into the FEC.
The cat doesn't appear over exposed, but the rest of the photo does. What did you think of the 2nd panned shot?

Most reactions

Back