2009 Cycle Fest

Hooligan Dan

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Our city had it's first pro cycling race today. It was a lot more fun than I thought it would be. It was overcast this morning which made for nice shooting of the amateurs, but the sun decided to break through for the pros. And bright sunlight on a street with trees just makes for horribly inconsistent light. And the direct overhead sun covered the faces of the riders in shadow.

I shot the first two with a 17-55 @17mm, so the riders were literally just inches from me when they came out of the turn.

I could probably bump the contrast a a few of them, but oh well.

cyclefest01.jpg

cyclefest02.jpg

cyclefest03.jpg

cyclefest04.jpg
cyclefest05.jpg

cyclefest06.jpg

Very awesome photos Dan, espeically the first image. . . Did you sue a flash and what settings did you use if you don't mind sharing :)

I shop on Ap-priority. Switching between iso 200 and 100 for shade and sunlight respectively, and F2.8 and f22 for action or panning, respectively.

The second shot is a mix of intended effect and happy accident. I was purposely panning along with the sharp rider, but because of the angle of the shot, the wide lens, and the close proximity of the riders to me, the blurred rider on the left of the frame blazed by faster than my panning while I zoomed, giving her that effect while keeping the subject relatively sharp.

And of course, thank you!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back