2009 Kelby Photo Walk C&C

Clawed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I thought I would share a couple of photos from the 2009 Scott Kelby Phto Walk. I was part of the Tempe, Arizona walk. Any comments or constuctive criticism welcome.

Thank you for looking :thumbup:

1. Water feature outside of Tempe Center of the Arts

3758651351_fd2aa2cc09_o.jpg

2. Night shot of Center of the Arts

3758663703_b279c5bea5_o.jpg

3. Railroad

3758657563_566d722d34_o.jpg

Any critiques I give should be prefaced with "To the untrained eye". But when you think about it that's about 99.9% of the people who will be looking at your photos.

So with that in mind...

Number one is very nice but would have been better with more sky and less concrete. Overall I like it a lot.

Number two is a cool effect but it doesn't grab me.

Three is another nice shot but there needs to be more contrast between the foreground and background.

On a more technical note, ..uh, i can't help you. :D

I personally think #1 is awesome, great job.

Looking at it from a technical stand point

1. Great triangles formed, nice use of thirds, overall a very nice shot but I dislike that the darks out weight the lights as far as balance is concerned.

2. It is tough to say but if I had to pin it I think the problem I have is the lack of a subject. The colors are nice, it is nicely exposed, the composition isn't bad. The angle does throw me off a little bit since on top of the wonky angle you threw in the zoom mid exposure. Almost a bit too many techniques in one shot? Though I feel it wouldn't be as interesting if you didn't so it was a good call.

3. Good triangles again, 2/3 railroad to about 1/3 grass is nice so composition wise I like this just feels like this needs a strong contrast curve because the colors in the foreground and background are just a tid too close

Nice shots though, take what I say with a grain of salt since I'm not exactly the most experienced person around though I try to stick to what I've been taught best I can

Thank you guys for the input so far. #1 was one of my entries for the conest. I do agree that there is a blance problem (exposure) when I look at the right half compared to the left, and thank you for pointing that out.

#2 has been troubling me, because there is definitely something off, but I cannot quite pinpoint it. By the way, settings for this shot:
15 sec exposure, ISO 100, aperture f/14, 18mm. I carefully zoomed over the last few seconds to about 50mm.

Flickr: The Tempe Worldwide Photo Walk 2009 Pool

Here is a link to the Tempe Photowalk pool if you want to check out some other shots from the group members.

2 is awesome i really like it
Thank you for that!

You can see in the center of #2 that there is a black wall. On that black wall were a few lights so I thought it would be really cool to zoom and make it look as if those lights were jumping out at you. They almost look like little fireballs.

I like the effects of the water on the first but not sure about the plane in the shot.
the angle in the second just makes u cock your head but i like everything thats goin on there
the third i didnt really care for much.

first shot is sorta unique since i haven't come across any like it before ... i like the concept. the sky looks a bit over exposed.
second shot has a "cool" effect to it ... zooming in/out while the shutter is open.
third shot is nicely composed =)

first shot is sorta unique since i haven't come across any like it before ... i like the concept. the sky looks a bit over exposed.
second shot has a "cool" effect to it ... zooming in/out while the shutter is open.
third shot is nicely composed =)
Thank you. With the first, I was shooting the water becasue I loved the effect, and then I heard a plane and set up the shot to include the plane just as it flew into view above the water. The sky is blown out a bit since this is not an HDR, I could not easily keep the detail in the sky without underexposing the foreground.

As a sidenote... I have a tendency to shoot everything on an angle because I like dynamic lines and perspectives, which is why all 3 lack a horizontal horizon.

2 is awesome i really like it
Thank you for that!

You can see in the center of #2 that there is a black wall. On that black wall were a few lights so I thought it would be really cool to zoom and make it look as if those lights were jumping out at you. They almost look like little fireballs.

Yeah when I first looked at it I thought it was taken looking up at a ceiling and the lights were hanging down. Then I looked at it and noticed you puled the zoom out. I like doing those type of shots. That one has a great effect and awesome color. Probably one of my fav pics on here.

Most reactions

Back