28mm 1.8G real tight on mount

slow231

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
just received a refurb 28 1.8g today. i was looking for a lighter alternative to the 24-70 as a carry around, and for my style of shooting the 28mm is really such a nice focal length on FF. seems sharp enough wide open so far. i'm going to a wedding this weekend so i'll have plenty of opportunity to stretch it's legs out shortly.

the only thing is it feels really tight when snugging it up to the mount. maybe it's just the new weather sealing on the mount but i've had plenty of other new lenses and never had one feel quite so tight. it's borderline like something's wrong. anyone else have this issue with a lens before? i'm not sure i'm fond of the idea of the mount needing to wear out a bit to free itself up...

just received a refurb 28 1.8g today. i was looking for a lighter alternative to the 24-70 as a carry around, and for my style of shooting the 28mm is really such a nice focal length on FF. seems sharp enough wide open so far. i'm going to a wedding this weekend so i'll have plenty of opportunity to stretch it's legs out shortly. the only thing is it feels really tight when snugging it up to the mount. maybe it's just the new weather sealing on the mount but i've had plenty of other new lenses and never had one feel quite so tight. it's borderline like something's wrong. anyone else have this issue with a lens before? i'm not sure i'm fond of the idea of the mount needing to wear out a bit to free itself up...

Yes. I had a sigma that was the same. It still worked

That just does not sound right...I've NEVER had a Nikkor that felt "tight" on the mount....never...not on used, not on new, not on refurbished...can't say that it would wear much either...the mounting surfaces on Nikkor lenses and Nikon bodies do not show appreciable wear after decades of use...about the only visible wear is where the plating wears off the very end of the mounting lugs on the lens, revealing the brass underneath. Maybe it will not be an issue,maybe there will be absolutely no ill effects. It just seems...weird...as if something is "not quite right". A 28mm 1.8 G is a moderately expensive lens...it should be "right". If the fit is way too tight, I think that the resale value you have will be severely impacted.

I'm with Derrel. I've never had a tight fitting Nikon lens, and would be investigating what was up if I got a new one that was.

I would be taking some measurements from the mount flange on the lens.

sounds like the lens mount is slightly bent

Excuse me if I'm wrong on what you mean by "tight", but with my 35mm 1.8 it has a bit of resistance when mounting it on the body. I found it to be the aperture blades are close when not on the body, and as I twist it on the blades open up causing the resistance.

I have a 40mm F2.8 Macro that is tight only on my D7000. It fits fine on my D3100 and D800. All of my other lenses fit fine on my D7000. The 40mm Macro is only tight on the D7000 body. All other lenses and bodies fit well together.....

thanks for all the responses. I'm really on the fence with this. the mount looks perfect, i doubt it's bent, probably just on the tighter end of the tolerance. it's a hassle to shipping it back and the lens is otherwise 100% functional (and will most likely remain that way indefinitely). but again this is not something i would expect with from a new or refurbished nikon lens.

performance wise it's right about where i expected it to be, it's nice but i'm not blown away by it. wide open it's about as sharp as the 24-70 wide open (granted that's at f1.8 vs 2.8 though). the shallowness of the dof does provide an interesting feel for the wide-ish field of view. there's definitely some creative flexibility here that I can explore. but the focus is slower than the zoom, and of course it doesn't zoom. I do love that focal length though. i'm not quite sure if this is gonna end up as a lens i'll love or just another obsolescent victim of the 24-70's versatility and performance.

Most reactions

Back