2x AutoFocus TelePhoto Converter for NIKON D5100 Question

annamaria

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm thinking of purchasing a 2x AutoFocus TelePhoto Converter for NIKON D5100 or something similar to use with my 55-300 lens since I can't afford a 600 mm lens. Is there a difference on the ones with auto focus. What brands work best and how do I make sure it's compatible? I would like for it to extend to 600 mm for bird photography. I have heard pros and cons. Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

I can tell you right now that you won't like it. First off, they cost two full stops of light. That will turn your f/4.5 lens into an f/9 lens and it probably won't autofocus at all that dim. Second, unless you spend about as much as a new lens you will lose a lot of image quality. I have both a 1.4x and a 2x and the 2x is absolutely horrible. So bad that I won't use it at all. I do use the 1.4 from time to time but in general have found that cropping without the teleconverter yields better images than not cropping when using the teleconverter.

Well, "most" 2x converters cause a BIG quality decline. Better converters, like Nikon's very own TC14e-II, a 1.4x converter, cause less of a quality "hit". Also...a 2x converter causes a 2 f/stop decline in light, which makes the viewfinder dim,and often kills autofocusing. As if this was not enough, MANY zooms lenses have their rear element groups very far back in the barrel, and that can cause "crash & bash" when the TC unit's front elements hit the rear elements of a lens....

So....basically....a 55-300mm lens is NOT a good candidate for a 2x converter.

I honestly think that a cheap, $99 to $109 500mm f/8 pre-set, manual focusing, "long focal length" lens is a better option. Not kidding you. Or, even a low-cost 600mm f/8 mirror or "catadioptric" lens, also in the $139 RANGE.

FYI..... Nikons TCs only work with a small selection of their current Nikkor lenses.

I can tell you right now that you won't like it. First off, they cost two full stops of light. That will turn your f/4.5 lens into an f/9 lens and it probably won't autofocus at all that dim. Second, unless you spend about as much as a new lens you will lose a lot of image quality. I have both a 1.4x and a 2x and the 2x is absolutely horrible. So bad that I won't use it at all. I do use the 1.4 from time to time but in general have found that cropping without the teleconverter yields better images than not cropping when using the teleconverter.

Well it definitely looks like i won't be getting a TC, way to many negatives. Thank you for all the information I appreciate it. I will have to rethink my options.

Well, "most" 2x converters cause a BIG quality decline. Better converters, like Nikon's very own TC14e-II, a 1.4x converter, cause less of a quality "hit". Also...a 2x converter causes a 2 f/stop decline in light, which makes the viewfinder dim,and often kills autofocusing. As if this was not enough, MANY zooms lenses have their rear element groups very far back in the barrel, and that can cause "crash & bash" when the TC unit's front elements hit the rear elements of a lens....

So....basically....a 55-300mm lens is NOT a good candidate for a 2x converter.

I honestly think that a cheap, $99 to $109 500mm f/8 pre-set, manual focusing, "long focal length" lens is a better option. Not kidding you. Or, even a low-cost 600mm f/8 mirror or "catadioptric" lens, also in the $139 RANGE.

Both you and Craig have convinced me that a TC is not a good option. I like the idea of the $99 to $109 500mm f/8 or the 600mm f/8 mirror. Will have to look into it. Question though? Have you ever used one or the other, and if so was the quality decent? I am thinking of looking at Ebay, B&H, Adorama and Amazon to purchase the lens.

Most reactions

Back