3.2 MP

Soul Rebel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need an honest answer. Right now I have little cash and getting a better digital camera is out of the question. Finding the cash to buy film and then get it developed is also proving to be very difficult.

All I have is a FujiFilm Finepix S3000, 3.2 MP digital camera. It takes decent photos, I think, but I know that it is nowhere near as good as most of the cameras here.

My question is.....with what I have right now what are the chances of people finding the photos I take interesting and of good enough quality that they would either 1.) consider me to be a decent photographer and either refer me to other people or 2.) buy my photos? Is a 3.2 MP camera just not good enough for serious photography?

It depends on what you want to do with it. For the web, it's great. For prints, you are going to be limited. You probably won't be getting any good 24"x36" posters from it. Depending on who looks at them, 8"x10" might be just fine. It's not something I would recommend for pro work, as clients often want enlargements, but for personal use I think you're all set. No need to worry about shelling out cash you don't have.

I say this a lot, but my view is that getting good is more important than what camera you use. Experience trumps equipment.

I agree with mark, it is the photographer, not the camera that makes the shot. Some of my favorite photos were taken with a simple 4MP digicam. That being said, if you're interested in selling prints or doing commercial work, people will probably expect larger images then that camera can produce.

3.2 is fine. I made 11x14 for my portfolio and theyre good. Of course 8x10 is best. I have a Fujifinepix A303.

As said above if you're going to stay amature it's fine. But not if you're going to work as a professional and make money. I wouldn't say it's good for serious, but you MAY get by because sometimes it doesn't matter what type of camera you have, but how you use what you have. This goes for lightning too. I only use a window and some white bristol board for reflecting.

I shot this with that camera (the publisher of Windsor Life Magazine was impressed I did it with a "mickey mouse"):

artjolt_coffee.jpg

So the amount of MP really has more to do with the size that you can enlarge to?

What I mean by selling photos......I would like to set up a table at one of our smaller shops at the pier, which they run 2-3 times a year, and put up a few shots and see if I can get some interest. Not something I could make a ton of money off but just put some cheap shots out there and see if anybody bites and possibly have some business cards. I dont want to take on anything huge since I am still learning but if somebody needs basic shots of their kids, various functions, etc. then I would like to give it a shot.

I am far from ready to become pro. If I was going to take a leap like that then I might as well try out for some baseball team:)

Most reactions

Back