35mm 1/8 vs. 50mm 1/8 DX

thehollywoodteam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of purchasing either prime lens. Firstly, taking the crop factor (1.5) in account, wouldn't the 35mm be similar to a 50mm on an FX sensor? I have the D90 with kit lens (18-105).

Thanks!

Arbi

Do you want the lens for just some walk around or portrait stuff. 50 for some portrait and 35 for everyday walk around shots.
TJ

Yep, the 35mm would be precisely a 52.5mm lens equivalent (not that that's much help, but whatever). So the 50mm would become a 75mm. If the 50mm lens you're thinking of getting is the one I think you are, then it's very old, probably about 20 years now. It's still a very, very nice lens, enough to rival most optics. Also, this older lens won't autofocus on any camera without a built-in focusing motor (currently the D40, D40x, D60, D3000 and possibly the D5000).

Apart from those tiny things, I'd really really recommend that lens, or any 50mm-style lens, for portraits or just to get a completely different view on something. It's generally thought of as a must for a photographer's kitbag, even for pros.

Also there is this exact thread on this same page.

Technically, it's not the "same exact" thread... :sexywink::sexywink:

This is about the 1/8 not the 1/4 :hug::

if my D60 would autofocus with the 50mm 1.8 I would go for that, but since it can't then for now I have to stick with the 35mm 1.8

The main different is the field of view of the 2 lenses. Set you current lens to 35mm, walk around and take picture with it. Then do the same with with lens set at 50mm.

Now see which focal length is better for you. (you may want to try it indoor as well, just focus on the field of view)

No need to worry about any crop factor since I believe you are not coming from FF or 35mm film anyway. Just look through the viewfinder and see for yourself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back