What's new

4 From Today

sleist

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Nov 8, 2009
Messages
3,872
Reaction score
2,368
Location
Somewhere in Florida
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Thanks for looking.
C&C welcome as always.

1.
i-SbPpwzT-XL.jpg


2.
i-7CKnDSx-XL.jpg


3.
i-PmCKttm-XL.jpg


4.
i-9X7kjgD-XL.jpg
 
Love number three!

Four is cute.

Two is cool.

And, number on is nice.
 
Big fan of the vibrant red in number two, and I really like the composition as well.
 
2, 1 3 and 4 for me...
 
1,3,4 and 2 ..:)
 
I think the steam/smoke or whatever that is in the first photo really works with the high contrast black and white. Good work!
 
Thanks folks! Kind of low number of keepers - so many looked promising on the rear panel. Serious uglification on transfer to large screen. ;)
Out with 2 lenses - 24mm f/2.8D (3 & 4) and the DX 35mm f/1.8 shot in FX mode (1 & 2) on the D700. I had heard the 35 could be used on FX cameras in a pinch and felt like testing.
Vignetting is a bit too much for me, but the slow focusing was the real deal breaker. It is sharp though in the center.
Wish those Sigma 35mm f/1.4 lenses would stop being so scarce. Of course, by the time they do show up I might have enough saved for the Nikkor. :)

3 is my favorite. Panning with the 24mm and an ND filter. This was the only keeper out of about 40 shots, though half were with the 35 and vignetting with the filter was horrific.

Thanks again for taking the time.
 
1 and 2 are nice, #1 bring the overall winner.

Well done sleist.
 
Love the contrast in #1 and #3! A good day out by the looks of it!
 
One more. I liked the lines, so I processed iy a bit to the extreme. ;)

Paramount

i-MqSw9ss-XL.jpg
 
Interesting preocessing on #1. Can't decide if I am ho-hum about it or really like it. I'll wake up and have a look later. Like the reds in #2 but overall it, like #4 are a bit on the kitsch side for me. #3, agreed is the best of the lot. My 35mm 1.8 on the D7000, of course also DX is absolutely the bomb as to sharpness and focus. I've only shot an FX (D800) a couple of times and didn't get the chance to try out all my lens. Next time, so I'll know what to offload when I make the transition.

Curious and this is probably a wet noodle slap question, but did you attempt any lens distortion control in the RAW editor? I used to have that problem with a Tamron lens and I could fix it there. Just a silly thought.
 
All nice, but especially #2. I think #4 would be even better if the shadows on the left side were darker, either by selective darkening or perhaps just darkening the mid-tones.
 
Curious and this is probably a wet noodle slap question, but did you attempt any lens distortion control in the RAW editor? I used to have that problem with a Tamron lens and I could fix it there. Just a silly thought.

I use Capture NX2 for NEF processing. Lens specific distortion control can be applied and adjusted. I added more in some cases, perhaps due to the algorythm being for the DX angle of view and not a true 35mm angle of view. That being said, it was the vignetting that was the issue and not distortion. There is vignetting correction and while it did help some, it was still unacceptable in many cases and correcting just ended up over brightening the rest of the image. I will be getting a 35mm 1.4 prime. Just a matter of which. I want to see some more Nikon mount images from the Sigma and I'll be renting the Nikkor. The DX 35mm has horrible out of focus rendering, even on DX and I'm hoping the Sigma 35 1.4 is closer to the Sigma DX 30mm f/1.4 which is a beauty. I had given the 35mm 1.8G to my son because I disliked it so much, but he had it with him so I decided to play with it.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom