4 Year Old Portraits

adamhiram

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
One of my goals in learning portraiture and studio lighting has been to take better school pictures. My son just turned 4, and it was a good excuse to take some new portraits. Nothing too exciting - just a basic 3-light setup on a textured background.

A large white reflector has become my go-to fill light, as it adds nice soft fill without adding a 2nd catchlight, and is easy enough to adjust "power" by simply moving it closer or farther away from the subject. The painted canvas backdrop I used has proven to be quite versatile when used with various gels, although I have to blast it with a lot of light to get lighter tones. I am still learning hair/rim lighting, but was pretty happy with the positioning and power in these shots. I think I’m still getting a little bit of rim light spill on the side of the face, but that seems to be more a factor of the subject moving than positioning.

Lighting:
  • Key light: 38” Octobox
  • Fill light: White reflector, metered at 1 stop below key for a 1:2 key/fill ratio
  • Rim light: Gridded stripbox metered at 1 stop below key
  • Background light: Gelled (1/2 CTB) and metered at 1 stop above key on a gray painted canvas backdrop
Shot on a D500 at 85mm, f/8, ISO 400, with 3x Godox TT600 speedlights

20190120-DSC_1387a
by adamhiram, on Flickr

Getting a natural smile always starts with telling him not to smile and only serious faces. I guess this is his serious face.

20190120-DSC_1381a
by adamhiram, on Flickr

More serious faces before the smiles came out. I love that his personality really comes out when he does something other than posing and smiling for the camera.

20190120-DSC_1382a
by adamhiram, on Flickr

Here's a pull-back shot of the setup.

20190119-DSC_1341a
by adamhiram, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice Adam. Man I wish you lived closer. Your son and my granddaughter together on set would be interesting. That is if we could keep from laughing at their faces.

Thanks! I think that would be a lot of fun... or possibly a catastrophe, but at least a really cute one.

Thanks! I think that would be a lot of fun... or possibly a catastrophe, but at least a really cute one.

Setting up garage studio today for Valentine's photos tomorrow. By tomorrow evening I may be voting catastrophe. Granddaughter is approaching 3 1/2 so there's a lot of similarities in silliness and stubborness. While the first image is great, the last two are the ones that will make you smile when he's all grown.

Ah ha and here I thought the portraits were taken four years ago...

Most reactions

Back