500 terabyte memory cards

phew that is a massive leap forward!
heck with that kind of storage harddrives could become things of the past quick.
And as its such a huge storage space you could see cameras shipping with preinstalled drives like this - no need for switching cards around, just have one in all the time (with different sections like family, work, landscapes, etc...) Course if the card failed -- ouch!

Even with a drive this size, there still is the need for redundancy and off location backups.

By the time they release a 500 terabyte compact flash card, they will use the same technology to create 200 gigapixel cameras, so you will still only be able to fit 100 RAW pics on a card.

:lmao:

Sure but it's not a giant leap forward. It's just another logical progression around the density problem. Just like parallel storage it won't mean HDDs jump from 100gb to 5tb overnight, ... or in a year even. In fact the first parallel storage drive released is seagate's 1.5tb drive in a time where everyone managed to squeeze serial layouts to 1tb.

So in essence. Yes it's nice, but expect it to actually arrive in 5+ years.

(fact check this post. Not entirely sure on the numbers quoted above)

come on people, this is research at university level!

This means:

- press releases are totally exaggerated (well, Unis need publicity and funding) ... and also the press itself likes to exaggerate

- time to market will be very long, if at all

- the technology will be either too expensive, or totally not feasible for mass production

So calm down everyone ;) I have spent many years in university research ... so I know what I am talking of! 99% of all sensational press releases never lead to any applicable technology.

Most reactions

Back