50d vs the 1d mkIII

but I do need a 2nd body for some of the stuff I do. If I'm going to buy a 2nd body I'm going to buy bigger and move my 50d to backup

It still sounds like fishing for justification to spend money on big ticket items.

The 50D is not limiting you. If a backup camera is truly what you need, then another 50D, 7D, or used 40D will also suffice. Heck, the 7D is specified for 8 fps... did you even mention it? No.. because you want to justify a 1 series professional camera.

My number one rule: Be truthful with yourself. Wrong, right, justification, whatever... but at least know where you stand. Its ok to say, I want to buy a 1 series because I want to.

btw.. fps is about the least thing you should be worried about for sports photography.

Yeah, I would think 7D before a 1D; even for a used mkIII, the price difference is pretty significant.

Yeah, I would think 7D before a 1D; even for a used mkIII, the price difference is pretty significant.
I see used 1D3's going for around $2k. A new 7D is $1700. I don't think $300 is a significant price difference personally.

Oh I thought they were at least in the 3k range. But then again, I never really looked into getting one myself.

Have you ever shot with 2 cameras ? it's not as easy as you think especially on a small BB court you will probably miss more shots than if you just have one camera and one lens. Have you got any shots of past matches ? what settings do you use ?

Have you ever shot with 2 cameras ? it's not as easy as you think especially on a small BB court you will probably miss more shots than if you just have one camera and one lens. Have you got any shots of past matches ? what settings do you use ?

Long story short, Last year I went with the paid campus media photographer. He let me use his strobes that he had set up. I somehow pissed him off, I think I tried to be more his friend that co-worker "I'm a student, hes a campus employee"

I'm guessing he won't let me use his strobes. So I'm looking at higher ISO to prevent blur.

But this is NAIA, like the NCAA big 12. He may ask me to help him. Have him on one side and me on the other, that way we cover all sides and shot. Unlike normal campus games we can't move during the game alot.

We will see, but I'm preparing for higher ISO

Long story short, Last year I went with the paid campus media photographer. He let me use his strobes that he had set up. I somehow pissed him off, I think I tried to be more his friend that co-worker "I'm a student, hes a campus employee"

I'm guessing he won't let me use his strobes. So I'm looking at higher ISO to prevent blur.

But this is NAIA, like the NCAA big 12. He may ask me to help him. Have him on one side and me on the other, that way we cover all sides and shot. Unlike normal campus games we can't move during the game alot.

We will see, but I'm preparing for higher ISO

If you do you won't need a second body

Primary reason for photographers to have more than 1 body is because their paycheck depended on it. Imagine a wedding photographer with a broken camera and no backup. It simply makes business sense. For all others, it is pure want. If you have the money, sure get another but don't kid yourself. I have something like 5 digital cameras. I don't kid myself... I have them because I like them each for different reasons... not because I am this great photographer that can justify each and every one.

First you said it was to have 2 bodies to avoid switching lenses.
Then it was because the 10 fps
Now because of high ISO performance.????

sure stills like fishing for justification.

If you are serious about photography, you already have all the equipment necessary. Focus on building experience and forget about what you are shooting with. That is the only way to really improve... no amount of equipment will improve your photography. Your needs will be a lot clearer once you have that experience.

As it is.. you have two of Canon's zooms rated at the top. That in of itself is better glass than I see some professionals or striving professionals use to produce excellent results.

He won't let you use his strobes? Ok.. then why are you asking about cameras... why not ask about strobes?

When i shoot horses i use 3 bodies , 1 will set up as a remote just to the side and under a jump, another with a 70-200 and the other with a 300F2.8L, if i had the chance to shoot BB i would probably use the 300 thats my walkround lens :lol:

I say its your money, get a 1DIII if that is what you want. If it were me, I'd get two and ditch the 50D so you are not running to cameras with totally different user interfaces. The 7D controls (I am assuming because I have never used one) are likely more in line with the 50D. I couldn't imagine shooting high pressure and using bodies that needed different input from the user.

I say its your money, get a 1DIII if that is what you want. If it were me, I'd get two and ditch the 50D so you are not running to cameras with totally different user interfaces. The 7D controls (I am assuming because I have never used one) are likely more in line with the 50D. I couldn't imagine shooting high pressure and using bodies that needed different input from the user.

I don't think that is too much of a problem if you use them often enough, when i shoot bands i'll use a 5D and 1Dmk2 once you get used to them you can adjust them with your eyes shut

Primary reason for photographers to have more than 1 body is because their paycheck depended on it. Imagine a wedding photographer with a broken camera and no backup. It simply makes business sense. For all others, it is pure want. If you have the money, sure get another but don't kid yourself. I have something like 5 digital cameras. I don't kid myself... I have them because I like them each for different reasons... not because I am this great photographer that can justify each and every one.

First you said it was to have 2 bodies to avoid switching lenses.
Then it was because the 10 fps
Now because of high ISO performance.????

sure stills like fishing for justification.

If you are serious about photography, you already have all the equipment necessary. Focus on building experience and forget about what you are shooting with. That is the only way to really improve... no amount of equipment will improve your photography. Your needs will be a lot clearer once you have that experience.

As it is.. you have two of Canon's zooms rated at the top. That in of itself is better glass than I see some professionals or striving professionals use to produce excellent results.

He won't let you use his strobes? Ok.. then why are you asking about cameras... why not ask about strobes?

Strobes cost too much. Also, I would really only use them for the NAIA tournament and you have to get clearance for that. Also, we ran into a problem last year having to find AC adapters for the arena. The arena uses the heavy duty AC plugs.

Also, on campus I would only use them in the gym and that means using the power lift, I highly dough I will be allowed to anchor them in the ceiling.

Most reactions

Back