60D or 7D? Worth the extra $700?

I never use the 55-250 canon. I like the 5-250 sigma for things like sporting events (mostly my own kids), as they allow to stay in one spot and shoot. I also like my prime and macro

Try a 70-200mm f2.8 - you'll be amazed at the difference. Even if you can't afford Canons newest and greatest a 70-200mm f2.8 L is still a very good performer. If you want lighter you can also consider the 70-200mm f4 L lenses; they don't have quite as wide an aperture and so have reduced performance in lower light conditions, though if you can support them with good flash use (on-camera and off-camera) then you can easily make them work well.

The superzooms like the 18-200mm ,esp at the 200mm end, are poor performers. They are light, versatile and as such are good choices for when you want a one-lens-does all (I even know pros who use them for scouting out locations instead of bringing their whole gear). But when it comes to shooting for quality (ie your work) its a substandard tool. Workable yes, but there are (as I've listed) far better options on the market.

IF this is your work then you should consider the investment, high as it might be, important for the growth and maintenance of the product you deliver. If you don't have the capital to take it further you can either save to invest later; or consider producing a proposal and getting a business loan from a bank. Long term that will cost you more in repayments; but it will help provide more of the key tools you need to deliver your product to your client (increasing earning potential).

If you have the cash, I'd sell the t1i kit along with the current lenses you have ( minus the 100mm 2.8.)Take that and pick up a 5d classic and a 50 1.4. Take your cash currently saved and buy a 7d for your other needs. Or if you are running tight for funds on a longer lens, get the 60d with a 70-200 or get buy with your 100 2.8. I would get the 24-70 first IMHO. Works well when space is an issue. That's if you want to take the wedding stuff seriously. You might not Need a FF necessarily but its not something to over look. Otherwise, work with your body and spend the cash on the glass.

Tyler, I am a newbie and this might be a dumb question. But how could you tell what kind of lens she use just by looking at her website?

What lenses do you have? Looking at your website, I can see you have an 18-55mm kit lens, a superzoom 18-250mm, and a 50mm f/1.8 II. I didn't see any other lenses.

Frankly, none of the lenses I saw were fit for commissioned wedding photography. Which is probably why a lot of your indoor shots had motion blur and a lot lacked sharpness.

ChrisB1966 said:
Tyler, I am a newbie and this might be a dumb question. But how could you tell what kind of lens she use just by looking at her website?

EXIF data

Laura, nice site and i myself liked your pics. My buddy has a 7D and he loves it. He shoots weddings and alot of sporting events. I am considering getting one in the near future. But I plan on investing in some glass before i get another cam. The Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L USM is on the top of my list, the second is Canon EF 17-55 f2.8 IS USM.

Mach, thanks for the info. Can you explain how you get the EXIF data.

Laura, nice site and i myself liked your pics. My buddy has a 7D and he loves it. He shoots weddings and alot of sporting events. I am considering getting one in the near future. But I plan on investing in some glass before i get another cam. The Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L USM is on the top of my list, the second is Canon EF 17-55 f2.8 IS USM.

I'd honestly skip the EF-S f/2.8 lens if you plan on getting the 24-70, they're very similar focal ranges. I'd get the 16-35mm if you like zooms, or a wide angle prime lens. Or even a 70-200/2.8L.

^^^ that's a great addition to my browser.Thanks

Like my 60d but the dropping of the pc port and typical D body are a disappointment from previous models. High iso shots quite useable with much post processing and for awkward angles and macro the pop out screen is quite useful. Fps are adequate for most things including at least hs sports at the school I work at. I want to upgrade and keep 60d as backup but the 7d has been around for so long that I feel I will be disappointed if the come out with an update in a few months. Thought about getting a 40d and a lens too though as the 50d does not look like the effort.

Most reactions

Back