7 hundred to a camera?

alex b i think i will do pretty good just taking it out ill have apx. week to play around with it..and im takin my laptop camping so i can ask you guys for help=]

You might want to look for a used d70 outfit on ebay--in many ways it's superior to a d40, and it should cost you less then a new d40 setup.

Between the Canon G9 & D40, go for the '40. The G9 has tons of lens attachments (wide-angle, telephoto etc), but the quality of photos taken with those will be nowhere near that of the D40 with a real wide-angle or telephoto lens. Also, the D40 has a much larger image sensor than any P&S camera, which has many advantages.

DSLRs all the way! :D

Also, you might want to look at a used D50 or D70 kit. They're still very good cameras, in one or two ways better than the D40, and they're nice and cheap.

I vote for the D40 as well.

I don't think you can go wrong investing in a quality tripod. The very first thing I bought (after my camera of course) was a Bogen/Manfrotto 190xProB tripod and a ballhead to go with it. Worth every penny.

On a side note, Alex_B was right on about the spending money part. There will always be people here willing to help you!

If your looking at D40's, you might want to look at D70's from keh.com. They are cheaper and have more features with the same sensor. Since your working with a budget, you can get the same lenses you want, and have the option of moving up to prime lenses with are cheap, fast and built well. Oh, and they are far sharper than the lenses you are looking at.

Oh, and most tripods will work, just take kundalini's advice and hang a bag of rocks or your camera bag off the bottom. I use a $35 one I got off ebay and it works fine. Yeah, the $500 gitzo/manfrotto/whatever tripods are nice and cool looking, but it's most likely another reason for people to be eliteist about their gear. You can certainly get by without it, you just have to be creative.

-------------

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back