A Belated Christmas story (for those of us old enough to remember)

smithdan

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
"Open Me First" said the advertising. For months, Billy had stared at TV ads and drooled over the colourful back pages of Look and Life at the latest offerings from the company with that famous yellow box.

On that long awaited morning, no yellow box. Billy found only this:

$020.JPG

Billy cringed.

Uncle Alfred (not really an uncle but a rather "good friend" of Billy's mother) stated that this was far superior to anything from that other company and that if they didn't watch it they would probably go out of business in a few years, and besides this guy had the guts to put his name on his product, sort of like that Victor whatshisname.

Billy's mother added that Alfred knew all about cameras as didn't he take a photo of last summer's cucumber festival queen just as good as the one on the front page of "The Standard". No one had seen this photo.

Billy turned the heavy brown object around and around in his hands... He thumbed the shutter which felt like the shift lever on his neighbour's Renault Dauphin.

$019.JPG

"Look" said uncle "Arrows, so you know what way to turn it.. And a flash.."

$003.JPG

Beads of sweat formed on Billy's forehead thinking of the laughter and perhaps worse that this contraption would foment at the next house party. Any chances of impressing any girls with a new camera evaporated.

Billy peered through the foggy viewfinder at another disappointment, a cheesy yellow toy train that he ate a whole box of crappy cereal to get to.

$030.JPG

Debonair my a$$ he muttered.

Awesome story! Is that a personal story, or just an impressive bit of fiction writing? Either way--good writing!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back