What's new

A different kind of newborn!

KatiaGPhoto

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 9, 2012
Messages
29
Reaction score
1
Location
Beautiful British Columbia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
And a new photo technique.

I am a photographer as well as a snake breeder. I decided to do a "fancy" photoshoot of some of our 2012 Ball Python (Python Regius) hatchlings. I placed them on a mirror to include some more of their patterns. This is my first attempt at the mirror part of these shots and I must say, I'm pretty chuffed with how they came out!

Here are my babies:

This ball python is called a "Spider" morph, because of her web-like pattern:


07-19-2012 133 by katiagphoto, on Flickr

And this ball python is a "Mojave" morph:


07-19-2012 117 by katiagphoto, on Flickr

And here is a photo of an "Albino" morph showing her shy side:


07-19-2012 100 by katiagphoto, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!
 
I was cringing when you said newborn and then snake breeder! LOL!

Your lighting is a bit harsh in these and focus seems soft on the eye of the first and second. I am not sure, but I think in the first it falls on that highlight along the body above her head. The second I think the sharpest focus is on the body just behind/above her head.

These are cool! I used to have a ball, but my husband made me get rid of her when our daughter was born. He was terrified of her. She was a giant baby, but there was no telling him that!
 
Wow, these are awesome. I love the use of the mirrors.
 
Best newborn shots ever. :)
 
Thanks guys, I hope to make more shots like these! I have enough snakes to do it...now I just need a bigger mirror, lol. This one was only about 8" x 8" so placing the snake and having the background reflect "just so" was very difficult. ESPECIALLY since I had to hold the mirror/snake on one hand and wield my camera in the other. Would be much easier if I had a bigger mirror that I could actually set down somewhere.
 
Very cool. The mirror really shows off the pits. Ball pythons can "see" in infrared, using those pits, and can track the motion of a mouse in total darkness about half a meter away.
 
I forgot about this thread, thanks everybody! I have a couple more where these came from...and a larger mirror now. Keep your eyes peeled!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom