A few birds from the Yucatan

Philmar

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Living in a large metropolis I find birds are not one of my principal photographic subject but when I travel the local birds usually are what remind me of our planet's biodiversity.
Here are a few of my winged subjects while in the Yucatan last month.

Flamingos strutting their stuff in Ría Celestún, Mexico by Phil Marion, on Flickr

American White Pelican in flight - Rio Lagartos, Mexico by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Cruising the harbour of Rio Lagartos, Mexico by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Cruising for fish in Rio Lagartos, Mexico [Brown Pelican - Pelecanus occidentalis] by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Egret and heron (in the shade) - Mangroves of Dzinitun near Celestun, Mexico by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Flamingo in flight- Celestun,Mexico by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Sandpiper looking for breakfast - Holbox, Mexico by Phil Marion, on Flickr

On the way to Mexico I had an early morning flight and in my caffeine lacking state I actually FORGOT to bring my 150 -600 Sigma lens and was kicking myself the whole 2 weeks I was down there.

Last edited:
Love the flamingo in flight and the pelican low pass! Very nice set. :)

some of the best i've seen lately on these boards!

Outstanding stuff. My only question: you were in the Yucatan and didn't get any Toucans?

I don't feel that bird photography is not your subject! I mean nobody will believe this after looking at the set of pictures that you have captured. Totally mind-blowing! :)

Outstanding stuff. My only question: you were in the Yucatan and didn't get any Toucans?

Correct. I was mainly on the north coast where my principle aim was to photograph the seascape/long exposures. But I'll photograph whatever is in front of me and I was smitten by these birds. I imagine toucans are jungle dwellers further inland? And I was limited to a max focal length of 200 mm.

As goofy as they look on land, pelicans are kind of majestic in the air.
I like the one where the pelican is skimming over the water.

As goofy as they look on land, pelicans are kind of majestic in the air.

I wonder if they don't have an element of mischievous in them. They are also good gliders in the air. On a few occasions I was standing on the edge of a pier watching scenery or waiting for bird subjects with camera in hand only to have a pelican glide from behind me a couple feet overhead that surprised the $hit out of me as they have massive wing spans. I almost fell off the pier or dropped my camera because they flew unexpectedly overhead by only a few feet.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back