What's new

A few from a decommissioned tuberculosis center

William Petruzzo

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 22, 2008
Messages
635
Reaction score
2
Location
Washington DC
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last night, I made a trip to a local tuberculosis treatment center that been long-since decommissioned. The intent of course was to catch some long exposures. Of course, the abandoned building pictures are somewhat obligatory, but I think they turned out pretty well. I thought I'd share them.

3562900161_d1b953d209.jpg


3563713342_d2752c73f4.jpg


3562900249_95a9ffb22e.jpg


3563713530_83df2640f2.jpg


3563713620_6cce25d218.jpg


3563713586_6716bdfff5.jpg


I'd love to hear your thoughts.

For what it's worth, the Flickr set is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/petruzzophoto/sets/72157618780643242/
 
I'm drawn to the last one, which I think might have worked perfectly well without the light effect (maybe with the vanishing point off centre); the effect, however, breaks the symmetry and makes the photo very interesting (at least to me). Can you explain how you did it?
 
The hallway had no light whatsoever. According to my meter I was going to need something light a 23 minute exposure. I didn't have the equipment or the patience with me to do something like that. But also, I wanted to capture the same thing, but differently than others had done it before me. Hence the light effect.

It was achieved by taking a long exposure and having an assistant run down the hallway while twirling a flashlight around in front of him. The black lines on the ground are where the light disappeared behind his legs each time in spun around. I had a number of takes of the same concept which had more uniformity in the lines, but I liked this one best because the uniformity of the background juxtaposed the randomness of the lines perfectly.

Here are a couple of the other takes:

IMG_1937.jpg


IMG_1938.jpg


The first here was my second favorite after the one I originally posted. These all happened using the same technique.
 
Last one of the series is spectacular. Well done.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom