A few from my photo walk today, C&C

anm90

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Decided to go on a photo walk today just before dinner and had some moderate success. It was a pretty hazy / high level overcast day and I struggled with blown out skies for most of the shots. Was able to sort of moderate the exposures and pull a little detail out of the sky in post. Here are the 4 photos that I think were best from today's walk.

I'm not entirely sure how much I like number 4... I think I might go back on a day with some darker weather and get a slightly different angle... maybe try sepia/B&W and a vignette to give it a darker feel.

All of these are lightly post processed in Lightroom. Mostly just some sharpening and contrast / exposure corrections and bringing out some of the color a little more. Also used my regular LCD monitor to edit these instead of the laptop monitor... I think it toned down my editing a bit because my laptop tends to portray images very flat and unsaturated.

I would greatly appreciate anything you have to say about any of the photos. I'm still learning :)

20100305-DSC_0210WM.jpg

20100305-DSC_0018WM.jpg

20100305-DSC_0152WM.jpg

20100305-20100305-DSC_0171.jpg

Thanks again for any input! :)

Last edited:
I like all of these. #2 is a really nice composition, nice quality of the blur and not overly shallow on the depth of field.

#4 is a very powerful image I think, and is definitely my favorite. I 100% agree that it'd look interesting in black and white. I think it's nice in color though... depends on what you're going for I guess.

I made it black and white in photoshop and added a soft black vignette, just as an example really.

deadtree2.jpg

I like the color image of 4. But maybe remove as much of the trail as possible.

Awesome :) I love the feedback. I think I am going to go get some other pictures of that tree tomorrow. It is supposed to rain tomorrow too so I may get some dramatic clouds. I think I will try some different angles that may make better use of a vignette / sepia tone. I want to make an image of this tree that has a very dark mood.

For now, here is my quick stab at making the image sepia and adding a vignette. Did I overdo the vignette?

20100305-20100305-DSC_0171SepiaVign.jpg

I love the first one a lot. I love horses and photographing horses and photos of horses! :) i really like #3 too.

I agree, #4 is the best. It looks great in BW / Sepia

#1 I like shots of horses and cows up close with their head size exxagerated, the animal staring into the lens. A shot I definitely want to get some day (must be in a field, not at the "farm" area in my zoo with clutter in the back). Maybe a bit more of the animals head, but I still like it Cool Shot.

#3 is interesting. I think more DOF on that would look better. And what bout lower? At the level of the lower 2 barbed lines? Not sure, thought it would be interesting to see how that would look.

Looks like you had a rewarding photo walk. Good job!

I love #3. Everything about it.

At first I liked the color in 4 and just thought it would need a different crop. Then KmH made the B&W and now I'm jumping fences lol. KmH has some of the best technique when it comes to B&W. He tried to explain it to me in one of my other posts. Needless to say I'm still practicing lol.

In the first one I would have liked to see the entire ear. I like just half the horse head but the cut off ear is keeping me from really enjoying it. Awesome thought and great exposure though!!

~Shawn~

Wow! I love that B&W conversion, KmH! Care to explain how you did it, or provide a link to the post where you told indeedies about it?

I went out and did a reshoot today of the tree and got some different angles. Also got different angles / DOF on the barbed wire fence shot. The sky today was a lot more interesting than yesterday with good looking clouds everywhere. I haven't had a chance to look at the pics I got or even begin PP but I might have them up tomorrow sometime. I think I got some good ones :mrgreen:

With the horse's, bring the eye closer, and perhaps use the straight line from the nose to the eyes-angling up from left to right emphasizing (more) on the eye. This would have you more on the left side of the horse's head.

Agree on #4, less trail and a bit closer-possibly a lower angle.

I also like #4 and I am sure you will get some other great shots.

I like the concept of the shot with the barb wire. I think you it would be neat if you tried some more shots with that as well.
Thanks

I would agree that it was pretty succussful.

I really like number 1 but i feel like i want to see the nose included, but then that will hurt the composition. Maybe if the frame was just moved up to include the whole ear or further down to have the nose. But the colors are just awsome.

I like all the others too. and i like both the color and b&w version of the tree.

Great Shots
-Gian

Number 1 I think wold have looked better with a different lens, and number 2 could use a different crop with maybe a lower f-stop.

The tree however is a great subject, shoot it more and try different things.

Most reactions

Back