a few more shots...

Great set Danny. You're a lucky man getting so close. I've noticed that if I just male myself 'small', hunching and stay still for a while the birds tend to relax.

Love the BIF, would have liked to see more space in front of him though.

i would have also liked more space in front of him, i try to get the bird in the center of the frame so when i crop it i can adjust them where i want them but unfortunately when there flying its not always easy to get the bird where you want it in the frame, i was having a really hard time getting these birds in flight. there small and there fast and its hard to to get them on the frame and get focus on them with out loosing them.

i was standing there for quite a while and being still before i started to move around , but those birds seemed to be 100% relaxed.. normally if i am still some birds will come pretty close but they usually they seem to fly away once you start walking around as to where these ones did not.

thanks everyone.

it was weird how these birds acted yesterday, it was like i was just another bird or animal that they were used to being around, usually its only the chickadees and nut hatches that act like this. i was originally standing back a bit from where the swallows were hanging out, i took a few steps closer every now and again till i was just a few feet away from the bird houses that were set up at this place. ( lots of plastic bird houses on metal poles ) next thing i know i am probably 15 feet away from the pole which was probably only about 6-7 foot tall and the birds did not flinch, they just set there and cleaned their feathers and acted like they did not notice me. so i though they were just another bird that was not really worried about people but there were robins and sparrows on ground, very close to me. this is about the time i decided i wanted a really close close up decided to try to walk right up to the swallows, the birds on the ground that were probably just a few feet from me did not fly. they did not even seem to look at me when i started moving again. they just kept pecking at the ground and hopping around and eating their lunch.. it was almost like these bids did not even see me. i always see bids and squirrels running around in my front yard together and there just hanging out together and paying no mind to each other. i always though it would be nice if it could be like that for people and other animals.. yesterday it was like that. well the blue heron, coots and grebes all stayed way far away on the other side of the lake but all the little birds seemed completely relaxed around me.

anyone else ever have this happen ?
Nope. Lol.

Closest I've come, I was out at the lake one day trying to get some shots of some Canadian geese. Couldn't get anywhere near them and the lighting from my vantage point was pretty bad anyway, so figured I'd just do a wait and see. Pulled out a lawn chair and Sat down, started waiting and looking for an opportunity or two.

As I'm sitting there I reach over to get something out of my bag and there is a sandhill crane, close enough I could have literally reached out and touched him.

He stayed right there, watching those annoying geese across the lake just as I was.. I managed to get a couple of shots of him before he finally wandered off.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

thanks everyone.

it was weird how these birds acted yesterday, it was like i was just another bird or animal that they were used to being around, usually its only the chickadees and nut hatches that act like this. i was originally standing back a bit from where the swallows were hanging out, i took a few steps closer every now and again till i was just a few feet away from the bird houses that were set up at this place. ( lots of plastic bird houses on metal poles ) next thing i know i am probably 15 feet away from the pole which was probably only about 6-7 foot tall and the birds did not flinch, they just set there and cleaned their feathers and acted like they did not notice me. so i though they were just another bird that was not really worried about people but there were robins and sparrows on ground, very close to me. this is about the time i decided i wanted a really close close up decided to try to walk right up to the swallows, the birds on the ground that were probably just a few feet from me did not fly. they did not even seem to look at me when i started moving again. they just kept pecking at the ground and hopping around and eating their lunch.. it was almost like these bids did not even see me. i always see bids and squirrels running around in my front yard together and there just hanging out together and paying no mind to each other. i always though it would be nice if it could be like that for people and other animals.. yesterday it was like that. well the blue heron, coots and grebes all stayed way far away on the other side of the lake but all the little birds seemed completely relaxed around me.

Nope. Lol.

Closest I've come, I was out at the lake one day trying to get some shots of some Canadian geese. Couldn't get anywhere near them and the lighting from my vantage point was pretty bad anyway, so figured I'd just do a wait and see. Pulled out a lawn chair and Sat down, started waiting and looking for an opportunity or two.

As I'm sitting there I reach over to get something out of my bag and there is a sandhill crane, close enough I could have literally reached out and touched him.

He stayed right there, watching those annoying geese across the lake just as I was.. I managed to get a couple of shots of him before he finally wandered off.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

nice, there is a place about a hour + drive from me that has sand hill cranes and all kind of other birds. how ever i am too lazy to drive all the way out there lol

Yes. A few times. Mostly when sitting quietly when alone in the woods. It's like they forget to fear you. I've had it happen with deer and (scary!) a coyote. I was hiking, no camera though. It's magical, I think.
I've heard hunters talk about the phenomena from time to time too.

Yes. A few times. Mostly when sitting quietly when alone in the woods. It's like they forget to fear you. I've had it happen with deer and (scary!) a coyote. I was hiking, no camera though. It's magical, I think.
I've heard hunters talk about the phenomena from time to time too.

nice. the time i saw the coyote i tried to call it over like it was a dog, it did not pay any attention to me. i just kept doing its thing and wonder off into the woods lol. they say they do not attack people unless they think your trying to hurt them.. or there are a few cases one attacked a dog and the dogs owner tried to get the dog away from it and got bit. but in general i dont think there anything to worry about.. but i guess you never know. would have been cool if it let me pet it haha

Really nice set! I too, like the Purple Martin.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back