A few of my first shots with film...

epp_b

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.eppbphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought a film camera recently. I shot these with Fuji ISO 200 negative film and scanned the 4x6 prints with my cheap Agfa flatbed at it's massive maximum resolution of 600 DPI. Plus, it has some pretty bad glass. Added fake vignetting for less boringness ;)

The grain is a bit exaggerated from tone and contrast balancing after scanning.

I suppose they have a "shabby charm" ;)

Last edited:
great shots! I just think the third one is just a tad underexposed

I brought down the brightness after scanning it to bring out more details in the sky. If I can be bothered, I'll mask off the sky to balance it locally.

Last edited:
Ach, it's me and my "not-liking-vignettes" again ... I so strongly feel that I don't like them whenever I see them...

But I do like the last two photos here! Especially the very last. Composition is pleasing, with a bit of foreground to give the sense of depth in this 2-dimensional medium, the horizon line in the upper third, the neat rows of trees (repetition), and the pale blue and pale brown going so well together.

You definately need to invest in a film enabled scanner. These look great.

However I hate to point out scanning prints could be slightly deceptive as you are 1, unaware of what compensation if any the boys at the lab did 2, scanning through (as you have alredy noted) crap glass that is near impossible to get clean which results in most cases sharpness and saturation loss and a metric butt ton of dust spots.

I have a strong feeling there is more to these than meets the eye.

i really like the colors of number 2. i'm also not a big fan of vignetting either, but aside from that i like all of the pictures

However I hate to point out scanning prints could be slightly deceptive as you are 1, unaware of what compensation if any the boys at the lab did 2, scanning through (as you have alredy noted) crap glass that is near impossible to get clean which results in most cases sharpness and saturation loss and a metric butt ton of dust spots.
The scans that come through my flatbed always book very dull, faded and washed out. I have to decrease the brightness, add a lot of contrast and mess with the tones quite a bit before I get something that looks good.

I have a strong feeling there is more to these than meets the eye.
Yeah, probably. I should probably get the negatives scanned with a proper scanner.

I think they are amazing. I'm no fan of the double-single-line borders, and i do believe the pictures stand out even better without them.

But man! Great stuff. I like.

The scans that come through my flatbed always book very dull, faded and washed out. I have to decrease the brightness, add a lot of contrast and mess with the tones quite a bit before I get something that looks good.

Yeah, probably. I should probably get the negatives scanned with a proper scanner.

Yup I know, I did it for a wile too. When you get a negitive enabled scanner you will see a world of difference. I once did a post with a print scan VS the dedicated scanner with the settings at the default and a digisnap of the print. If I could find it I would link you to it but it was an exelent demonstration. I'll look for it a little later after I get all cought up.

Ironically I literally just found the negitive in my archives again and could rescan it with my current knowledge of my scanner lol.

I like the first set of photos, they have this wonderful "ye olde filme camerae" feel to them, although in some the vignetting is a bit too much, it draws my eye away from the actual photo. Also, in the one of the reeds, I'd love to see a really thin depth of field version of that.

Yup I know, I did it for a wile too. When you get a negitive enabled scanner you will see a world of difference. I once did a post with a print scan VS the dedicated scanner with the settings at the default and a digisnap of the print. If I could find it I would link you to it but it was an exelent demonstration. I'll look for it a little later after I get all cought up.

Here it is

Most reactions

New Topics

Back