Hey. Here's a few sunset pictures I took last night :D
Please Critique!!

$IMG_20140510_210453 - Copy.jpg
$IMG_20140516_220904 - Copy.jpg
$IMG_20140517_162040 - Copy.jpg
$IMG_20140518_003923 - Copy.jpg
$20140516_215243 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
4 our of 5 of them have vary obvious issues with the horizon not being level a couple of them are horribly unveil.

I agree with getting your horizon level. I wouldn't say they are horrible. It appears your trying to capture the whole tree is some of them and that leaves a lot of blank sky above the sunset. Keep playing with them

Find a subject and lead the viewers to it.
#1 nearly made it....if the horizon got straightened there, the leading line will not work? He has the idea...needs a bit of work on them. I will advice to go back and reshoot, use the rule of thirds, find a human/animal element and shoot it with the sun and the tree...just a suggestion or two.

I don't do a lot of this type of photography but what i have learned from reading up on it is you want more clouds. If the sky is going to be the focal point of the photo there needs to be more going on to hold the viewers attention. Hope that helps.

The first series of photo's all have a nice mood of colours to it.
But if there aren't a lot of clouds or something to fill up the sky I would raise the horizon to 2/3 of the photo.
Your second serie makes up for that the sky is more interesting.
Like said before straighten the horizon.
Get something interesting in your photo could be building, an object...

I must say the last one of the 2nd serie is really goo imo.
Nice reflection, if you have a spot like that stick to it and wait until the sun is really gone. Take every few minutes a photo.
If the sun would be lower it would maybe be even better...

Most reactions

Back