A Gril, A Drip and Two Questions

Rachelsne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This first picture is Ember she is a girl that volunteers at the cat shelter with me, she has a keen interest in photography and has the S5IS which is the newer model of my camera (S3IS) She came to my house and we were experimenting with the cameras.

I also took a few portraits of her, This edit is my first one using the bamboo tablet. I added the background, and attempted to pull out some of her hairs to make her look less plonked on to the BG. I also added make up and some other general editing. I wanted her to remain as natural as possible. What could I have done better?

2311949905_2d0fc12a1a_b.jpg

Ok and for the drop, we were both taking pictures of the droplets, trying to help each other, My exif data is below, we were using a metal bowl in my kitchen as thats the brightest place, I used the fastest shutter speed I could, I took over 100 shots but maybe 3 were any good, how do you manage to capture the water, I found i kept missing the falling motion, and was ending up with the big splosh.

I had to use noise editing softwear and then sharpen around the edge of the drop, im still not happy, so any tips would be great!

Just a warning: if you have a cat that will drink out of any unattended water, dont leave red coloured water unattended, especially if your cat has a white chin, because his chin well become a nice shade of red :)
2312790070_c8f236cc05_b.jpg

Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/500) Aperture: f/2.7 Focal Length: 6 mm Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV Flash: Flash fired, red-eye reduction
Orientation: Horizontal (normal) X-Resolution: 72 dpi Y-Resolution: 72 dpi Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 Windows Date and Time: 2008:03:05 16:16:50 YCbCr Positioning: Centered Date and Time (Original): 2008:03:04 14:03:31 Date and Time (Digitized): 2008:03:04 14:03:31 Compressed Bits per Pixel: 5 bits Shutter Speed: 287/32 Maximum Lens Aperture: 92/32 Metering Mode: Pattern Color Space: sRGB Focal Plane X-Resolution: 12515.556 dpi Focal Plane Y-Resolution: 12497.041 dpi Sensing Method: One-chip colour area sensor Exposure Mode: Manual White Balance: Manual Digital Zoom Ratio: 2816/2816 Compression: JPEG XMP Date and Time (Original): 2008-03-04T14:03:31Z Image Width: 1374 pixels Image Height: 1718 pixels

The portrait is boring. You should have her angle herself, it kinda feels like she is slouching as well. ALSO, the lighting coulda been better. Go to the hardware store and buy 2 $10 clamp lights. I dont claim to be a portrait genious, but im getting better and theese are just observations of things im finding out :)

Cheap 30 dollar studio...
One willing Girlfriend....
Not a perfect, but not a bad looking photo :D

LisaBW2.jpg

Also works with cats :D
(This was one of my first photos so i know its not technically perfect, but hes just soo cuuute :D)
Wallace3-1.jpg

Your portrait is a little soft, or the focus isn't bang on. Try getting it spot on and you will be much more pleased with the results, I think. Most likely it is your light (amount of).

AS to the drop, I tried to find your ISO setting from the exif but couldn't. How come it is so noisy?

I agree with the focus. What was your setup? You photoshoped the BG in?

The water drops are tricky. It's all about timing, shutter speed, and making sure you set your manual focus in the area where your drops will fall.

The best way to achieve hi speed photography is using your external flash in the stroboscopic mode, but its still tricky.
http://www.hiviz.com/splashes/intro.htm

Most reactions

Back