a little luck on a cloudy day peregrine falcon and sparrow

ZombiesniperJr

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i know these peregrine falcon pictures are no were near as sharp as any other thread but this juvenile peregrine falcon came flying over my family members house while i was trying to get pics of the only male white crowned sparrow that is around my family members house. and they are my best shots of a wild peregrine falcon i have ever got. and this is only my second ever peregrine falcon sighting. at first i thought it was a seagull till i noticed that it did not have the arch in the wing that the seagulls around have if you have any ideas as to how i can improve these images that would be greatly appreciated sorry if i bored you with all this writing/typing so here are the pics.
1juvenile peregrine falcon by Logan Baldwin, on Flickr
2juvenile peregrine falcon2 by Logan Baldwin, on Flickr
3juvenile peregrine falcon3 by Logan Baldwin, on Flickr
4female white crowned sparrrow by Logan Baldwin, on Flickr

Good job.
Confirm you are on spot metering and try your best to get the centre focus point of the Falcon when you press the shutter release. I know it can be tough with the small guys like this but keep practicing.

Here's a quick edit of the first pic.
Settings in lightroom were.
Shadows +61
Whites +66
Blacks -22
Falcon.jpg

Good job.
Confirm you are on spot metering and try your best to get the centre focus point of the Falcon when you press the shutter release. I know it can be tough with the small guys like this but keep practicing.

Here's a quick edit of the first pic.
Settings in lightroom were.
Shadows +61
Whites +66
Blacks -22
View attachment 128493
Thanks this guy was a little bit smaller then a northern harrier so cant really call it a small guy i am lucky i got anything it was coming in fast

When you are photographing dark birds against a light background, you might want to use some exposure compensation - assuming your camera has this capability. You need to open up the exposure by 1 to 1 1/2 stops so that you capture the detail in the birds feathers, otherwise the sky dominates your metering and you under expose the bird. In extreme cases, you might even want to go to 2 stops. You will probably have to experiment a bit until you get to know what to use and, yes, this will blow out the sky most of the time, but, for me, I am not really interested in the sky.

WesternGuy

I like the edit of the first, but the sky got lost there. I'd select just the bird and edit that and not bother the sky, I think the sky looked good in the original.
Good work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back