A question about print pricing

msf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was wondering how you all do your prices.

Do you have the same set of print and canvas prices for all types of photography? Do you charge the same for an 8x10 print doing baby portraits, for senior portraits, and for wedding's? Or do you adjust the print pricing depending on the type of photography?

I have different price lists for portraits, weddings, friends & family etc. It's a bit confusing sometimes.

When considering prices, I consider how the package or fee is structured. If I charge more up front, then the print prices might be lower. If the up front charge isn't much, then the print prices will have to be higher.

Print quantities are really hit and miss these days. I tend to charge up front and make the prints cheaper on the ala carte plans. I prefer to sell it all as a package. Overall a rule of thumb I was once given is that the prints should never been less than 3x to 4x your cost for a front loaded ala carte plan.

Most photogs in my area have switched to including a CD/DVD with printing rights. Most have gotten away from making their money on the prints. They charge a one time up front fee for their services and are done with it. It saves money in the long run, less time spent working on prints, but roughly the same overall money. I do offer prints, but most people don't want them. They would rather do their prints on their own.

We sell prints and have been doing quite well at it.
There was a comment above about making most of the money off the sesion fee. But I can see making a few hundewd off the sesion fee, but why stop there. It is possible to make so much more with printing and framing. You need to just show your customer the difference between your prints and the local 1 hour place as well as show larger prints and hanging and they will almost sell themselfs.

Most reactions

Back