A Quick Question

Imminent

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello! I've come across a picture I took maybe about 3 years ago in 6th grade (for a science project), and now that I'm in a photography class, it makes me wonder on how to do and recreate the overlay effect that happens with the ruler in the picture below. I don't remember the (scene) settings nor the camera (though flash was on), but I do remember it just a motion/movement thing. I tried recreating it, but I get the normal (blurred) motion lines or whatever they are called. This wasn't photoshopped by the way.

$35723_117631424949957_6397419_n.jpg

It looks like a double exposure.

It looks like a double exposure.

I looked up what double exposure is and I think you're right. I've looked at a couple websites, and it seems like the general consensus is that it's hard to take a double exposure picture and that it's easier to photoshop it. :S

Though it seems like only the ruler was affected in the picture. Oh well - at least this question on't linger in my head and drive me crazy anymore.

Thanks!

......and it seems like the general consensus is that it's hard to take a double exposure picture and that it's easier to photoshop it.........

Some cameras have the ability built-in.

......and it seems like the general consensus is that it's hard to take a double exposure picture and that it's easier to photoshop it.........

Some cameras have the ability built-in.

I got to find one of those then! And find out if my current one does! For some reason, this double exposure thing makes me happy~

I got to find one of those then! And find out if my current one does! For some reason, this double exposure thing makes me happy~

Off-hand I know my D7000 does. I'm sure many Nikon bodies that level and higher will as well.

Just check your manual.

In a double exposure there are things that are the same between the two exposures -- those will show up as solid and real-looking. Things that change and move between the two exposures will show up as translucent.

The picture above, it looks like the liquid and the ruler moved -- the liquid is already translucent/transparent, so you don't pick up on the effect as much there. The ruler is solid, though, so it's obvious Something Is Up.

In this digital age, why on earth would you want to do multiple exposures in-camera? That seems really gimmicky..

Off-hand I know my D7000 does. I'm sure many Nikon bodies that level and higher will as well.

Just check your manual.

I'll check it out.

In this digital age, why on earth would you want to do multiple exposures in-camera? That seems really gimmicky..

Well, just something cool to look at, I guess. So it's more like personal amusement in the end.

If you look close you can also see the paddle through the ruler and nothing through the paddle. Seems to me it was just a transparent ruler.

In a double exposure there are things that are the same between the two exposures -- those will show up as solid and real-looking. Things that change and move between the two exposures will show up as translucent.

The picture above, it looks like the liquid and the ruler moved -- the liquid is already translucent/transparent, so you don't pick up on the effect as much there. The ruler is solid, though, so it's obvious Something Is Up.

I didn't think you could do double exposures with digital

I didn't think you could do double exposures with digital
As Sparky noted, some digital cameras do. It can also be done by means of a dark room/environment, long exposure, and multiple flashes.

As Sparky noted, some digital cameras do. It can also be done by means of a dark room/environment, long exposure, and multiple flashes.

It can also be done in post with Layers and Opacity sliders.

It can also be done in post with Layers and Opacity sliders.
I thought that was obvious, and that we were talking about the ability to do it on a single frame in the camera.

I thought that was obvious, and that we were talking about the ability to do it on a single frame in the camera.

It may be obvious some some, but not everyone knows everything.

Most reactions

Back