a rant

OOID

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
in my town, in the city hall, a local photographer has his pictures hanging in the hall way. nothing wrong with that. right? wrong. it is wrong when these photograghs feature out-of-focus subjects, uninteresting subjects, and what look like 200% crop photos of some scenes that were shot at 1600 iso. i mean in every photo, just about (he got lucky on a couple of them), there were technical issues. i would have never let those photos see the light of day. in one of them he has a power line running through a shot of a pond and some forest. way to capture nature there. crooked horizon lines INDOORS. he had stacks of cards and everything. i was appalled while looking at them. i am no tech **** by any means. if the moment is timeless no big deal if the subject is slightly soft. but this guy had out-of-focus shots of floweres that have always been there and will always be there.

i dont get it.

take a basic photography class dood.

i am no god, but i know when to throw something in the trash.

thank you guys.

My goodness! Such anger.

Why not try to get some of your own work displayed? In this way, you can make a quiet statement about photographic quality without engaging in a rant.

Torus34 said:
My goodness! Such anger.

Why not try to get some of your own work displayed? In this way, you can make a quiet statement about photographic quality without engaging in a rant.

you are right. this was a little step to the dark side. i was actually contemplating doing such a thing. i just think that the photos need to be more my-town based. maybe this is a begining of a challenging project undertaking. i hereby announce that i will do a photography project featuring the beauty and spleandor of my town: farmington hills.

BRAVO!

I applaud your decision. It's a no-lose situation. You'll work hard to prove your point, and your photographs will benefit from it.

Best of luck to you.

Good deal on the project. Take your time. It will turn out well. Being angry at someone's work may be the wrong approach. I would say to myself "this guy chose soft focus and grain to be a part of the photos. I wonder why that is?"

A possibly not so interesting story.

My son in law took over my business and he is a techie... We drove to a town several miles away to meet one of his clients. While there we drove by two different photography studios. They each had pictures in their windows. I looked at them and though nothing special.

He went into a tirade telling me how bad they were and how much better his stuff was. Now I'm absolutely sure he believes that, and may even be right. But to my eyes they were just average professional quality photographs. His are the same to me just average professional quality. I don't think those guys customers saw anything wrong with them even if my son in law the teckie did. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in what we know, that we forget everyone else doesn't necessarily get it.

Im one of the ones who doesn't get it I suppose.

I have come to learn that most of the population in reality doesn’t care about the finer points of anything, much less photography. In most cases, because people are not trained in a particular discipline, they don’t know any better. So, whatever looks good at the time, and whatever passes is what they get. They don’t know any better, so the ability to judge the quality doesn’t exist. They have nothing to compare it to.

I am willing to bet that the person who took the photos may or may not have been a newbie to photography, but they probably thought they were doing a good job. I can tell you though, that such photos serve a purpose for whoever asked for them.

A little judgmental? Eh, maybe, but in all honesty, most people don’t care. Just those of us who actually take them, and those who look at them critically.

I agree totally with you...

I spent thirty years making a living more or less as the walmart of wedding photography. I make no apology for it. But that doesnt mean i did crappy work, it might mean since it isnt the kind you do. YOU think it is carppy. But the final judge of a working photography is how many people are willing to pay for his service. not the number of plaques on the wall. The saying is true different strokes for different folks.

Most reactions

Back