A very quick shot in flight with my new lens!

imagesliveon

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.imagesliveon.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not really the lens for the job...Or is it? Canon 17-40mm F4 L.... This lens seems to produce better results than my 24-105 F4 L

Was out to do some landscape shots today and shot this bird passing me! Its my first day using this lens and I am very pleased with its results...:thumbup:

What do you guys think? (I know seagulls arn't terribly exciting!! :wink:

049 by imagesliveon, on Flickr

Kind Regards
Simon
imagesliveon

Good sharpness. I like it. Did you add the vignette? I myself don't like vignetting at all, so that aspect - for me - is a downer. But I can imagine the photo without, and that's ok. (I am not too overwhelmed with the performance of the 24-105 F4 L, either, a pity, it cost me so much money...)

Thanks,

I added a little vignette as I though the background was a little boring! The original image was at 17mm and I cropped it right down..

Regards

Even though they're both L glass, I think the old truism that the wider the zoom range, the lower the overall IQ applies here, just due to the mechanics of optical glass. 17-40 is simply less of a compromise than 24-105. I'd take one of each though.. :)

Oh, and nice shot, BTW

LaFoto said:
Good sharpness. I like it. Did you add the vignette? I myself don't like vignetting at all, so that aspect - for me - is a downer. But I can imagine the photo without, and that's ok. (I am not too overwhelmed with the performance of the 24-105 F4 L, either, a pity, it cost me so much money...)

I think cropping it a bit to take out the back ground would have been better then the vignette and would allow you to offset the bird a bit rather then being so centered.

I'll re edit it later. I did originally have the bird framed to the lower left of the photo but I felt it left to much unbroken background.

Regards

Here's another couple I like from yesterdays walkabout...

Gear Down by imagesliveon, on Flickr

Dreaming by imagesliveon, on Flickr

Is it normal to take decent photos (which I believe are decent) one day then produce sub standard the following day??

I'am still learning.... Just seems sometimes I miss the nail completely!!!!

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back