A99 Lenses

michels287

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Are there certain types of lenses that can only be used on the Sony A99? How would I go about finding/searching them?

Full frame lenses: do they tend to be more expensive? Also, can I use the same lenses from Sony A77 on the A99?

I'd be happy to answer more specific questions. I hope this hasn't been answered before - I've been searching the forums to no avail.
Thanks.

Some lenses were specifically designed for APS-C format ... which the A77 had.
Using this type of lens on an A99 will cause vignetting.

You can use any old Minolta Maxxum AF lenses as they were used on full frame film.
With Sony or other third party lenses, you have to make sure they are full frame ... the Sony APS-C lenses are desginated DT, third party will have other designations for APS-C.

Oh I see. When buying lenses for the A99, then, is there a good place to go look for reviews/pricing on various compatible lenses? I am looking to buy a macro lens for the body.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Great resource, thanks.

If I select Sony and Minolta as the manufacturer and select format as full frame, then I should be good to go, correct?

Do I have to also narrow down by ADI, SLT, AF-D, Production, AF Drive? Or can I just leave those as not important for the A99?

This is great. Thank you.

Correct ... full frame.
That's all you really have to make sure about.

Sigma uses DC designation for APS-C only lenses.
Sony uses DT.

The reset are addons

OS - optical stabilizer in lens (tends to be better with long focal lengths vs the Sony IS)
SSM / HSM / SAM - high speed AF motor in lens
D - with ADI (advanced distance integration) for flash

G, ASP, and APO ... that has to do with qualities of the lens design, so that would be something to pay attention to.

Last edited:
Won't the a99 automatically crop the image of a Sony APS-C lens ?

Not too sure. I don't actually own it to know myself. But, if it does, then I'd be able to use crop lenses on it, I'd guess? Although I'd lose the full frame advantages.

The only difference will be the FoV and the lower number if pixels being used in that area.

Everything else will still work the same. IQ, low light and dynamic range will not be affected.

Your APS-C lense won't have to be thrown away !

Won't the a99 automatically crop the image of a Sony APS-C lens ?

Yes, the a99 is one of the most capable cameras in the world. It adapts to APS-C lenses and normally makes use of Full Frame lenses. Just make sure you get the A-mount.

As far as a MACRO lens goes, my suggestion, for saving money, would be to pick up a TAMRON SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro

If you want to spring for a really dynamite, modern MACRO... the TAMRON SP AF 60mm f/2.0 Di-II 1:1 Macro does not change it's length and is a lot wider aperture.

So, there it is.

Sony makes a nice variety of Zeiss lenses that you can use for full frame format. Sigma makes a few and so does Tamron. You can use old minolta maxxum lenses too. The maxxum series was designed for full frame cameras.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back